North Carolina

Actually, they seem to be flying into the side more.  I'm going to move them to a more protected area next year.  Maybe they won't startle so much.  I hope. 

When you say "shipping crate," what do you mean?  What size is it?  What about the "storage bin"?  What size is that?

Oh dear! I think mine must be more used to activity since they live in the garage and get to see me and/or my car moving around every day. :)
By shipping crate I mean this: it is 4' x 3.75' (housing 14 adult quail, 13 are hens)

And as for bin, I mean this: according to my calculations it has almost 6 square feet of space so 6 quail would do happily but I have had 7 adults in it as well as many more grow-outs at a different time so your mileage may vary. :) (right now I am housing 6 males destined for food)

@Hollowoakfarm Forgot to mention I cut the holes in the shipping crate to allow for plexiglass windows and top ventilation. The top squares are fitted with hardware cloth and I designed them to fit standard filters (heat/air register filters) but seem to have lost them during our move this past summer :) oh well!

Starlingdaly...nice find on the crate!

I keep mine in my rabbit barn, and they have been in rabbit breeding cages, so five feet x 30 inches by 24 inches high for a breeding group. But those cages are currently on the chain link side so they will startle if the dogs run by, for example. I'll be moving them to the wall side next year, to see if that helps.

My sister is visiting from Georgia, so we went to Mebane outlets and Southern Season today. I'm tired, I'm broke, and I had a good day!

Starlingdaly...nice find on the crate!

I keep mine in my rabbit barn, and they have been in rabbit breeding cages, so five feet x 30 inches by 24 inches high for a breeding group. But those cages are currently on the chain link side so they will startle if the dogs run by, for example. I'll be moving them to the wall side next year, to see if that helps.

My sister is visiting from Georgia, so we went to Mebane outlets and Southern Season today. I'm tired, I'm broke, and I had a good day!

Thanks! I am on the lookout for more! They really are the perfect size as a brooder (my original use) and for male quail. I think I would prefer to keep my egg layers in something else to make eggs easier to collect. :)

Sounds like moving your cages would fix your issue. Good luck! :)

Good morning folks
frow.gif

It's nice to be getting some rain as we were getting rather
dry......just wish we weren't going to have rain every day
all week but life happens so will have fun playing in the
puddles. The ducks will be happy campers....the chickens
not so much.....and the feather footed ones are going to
feel like they are doing a workout at the gym.
tongue.gif

hope everyone has a good day
caf.gif

After rain all night we too have a pond beginning. Since it's supposed to rain all week, I dare say I'll be wishing I could wear boots before too long!

First day back at work. I am probably more motivated to be here since it's raining than I would be if the sun was shining! Guess that means there's a plus to the rain after all.

The current litter of bunnies were all out of the nest box this morning. That's the signal that it's time to turn the box on it's side for them, as they can't get back in on their own. Cute little munchies!

However, I will be changing out my rabbits this year. I'm going to switch to 100% Californians, instead of keeping New Zealand and Cali, and Flemish giant X. One breed, and I prefer the Californians. I'll have to make a trip to SC to get the ones I want. (If anyone wants to tag along, just let me know!)

Stay warm, stay dry, and have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom