Glad to meet so many new folks here and hope you enjoy
your new chickendom. I do not have Seramas or Cochins
but I do have some frizzled Olive Eggers and I have never
gotten a frizzle without one parent bird being frizzled but
that's just me and my flock.
hu.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

We got our brooder built. THis is 32 sq ft and will house 15 4 week olds until they are ready for the henhouse in another 4 weeks or so... I designed this to work with a stock piece of plywood and stock length dimensioned lumber. We built the walls on hinges so the whole thing would fold up and out of the way against the wall until we need it again. The cutout in the middle of the long wall is for for access. There is a drop-in panel that fits there and completes the wall. Here with my lovely brooder-model. :) The chicks went in last night and they are having fun playing leapfrog and enjoying their bountiful new space.
That's a great looking brooder and a good size. The hinged walls is a great idea too! I need something large enough that I don't have so many pens to water and feed and clean. I'd like to get them out of the garage soon too, maybe out to the barn. But I like going out there and talking to them and checking on them often so maybe the garage is the nursery from here on out. What do you use in the bottom of the brooder for bedding? I like the newspaper idea cause it doesn't get in their food.

Hi Everyone,

Well, baby donkey finally got here, and his name is Valentine because he has one white spot in the shape of a heart.

I am getting 4 for 4 almost ever day from the chickens now, and we will start on the new coop soon. What can I say chicken math...

Hi Everyone,

Well, baby donkey finally got here, and his name is Valentine because he has one white spot in the shape of a heart.

I am getting 4 for 4 almost ever day from the chickens now, and we will start on the new coop soon. What can I say chicken math...

We NEED a picture of he new baby!
love.gif

That's a great looking brooder and a good size. The hinged walls is a great idea too! I need something large enough that I don't have so many pens to water and feed and clean. I'd like to get them out of the garage soon too, maybe out to the barn. But I like going out there and talking to them and checking on them often so maybe the garage is the nursery from here on out. What do you use in the bottom of the brooder for bedding? I like the newspaper idea cause it doesn't get in their food.
Remember that flat paper doesn't give them a good grip and can result in spraddle-legged chicks. I've gone back and forth and round and round trying all sorts of different beddings, and keep coming back to shavings. I raise the fee and water a bit, and then raise it more as they grow, and that helps.

Pine Shavings thus far, but I like the newspaper idea! The shavings do end up in the feeder and waterer...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom