North Carolina

I thought the ones under the hen would be ok. Not, she had crushed one in shell and the other has a hugh ( looks) like decapatation. This was an experienced hen who reared chicks last yr just great. When I checked the rest of the eggs this morning, there was no life. Some were even fully formed. My sadness has overflowed.

Sorry about the bad hatch Crazyhen
hugs.gif

I have an incubation question for you all :)

Do we know what causes blood lines?

I have hatched eggs in my old incubator all Spring and I've had all but 1 or 2 eggs hatch each time. Recently my husband bought me a "better" incubator that's all digital. I have not hatched a single egg from the new incubator. At 1 week, all the eggs have blood lines. The eggs under my broody were hatched, the eggs a friend took all hatched, I'm starting to wonder if it could be the incubator?

I just threw out another 3 dozen eggs today that were 7 days old and all had a blood line (I think that's what's it's called, the one clear red line around the inside of the egg, but no other growth or veins or anything)

I thought the ones under the hen would be ok. Not, she had crushed one in shell and the other has a hugh ( looks) like decapatation. This was an experienced hen who reared chicks last yr just great. When I checked the rest of the eggs this morning, there was no life. Some were even fully formed. My sadness has overflowed.

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

I have an incubation question for you all :)

Do we know what causes blood lines?

I have hatched eggs in my old incubator all Spring and I've had all but 1 or 2 eggs hatch each time. Recently my husband bought me a "better" incubator that's all digital. I have not hatched a single egg from the new incubator. At 1 week, all the eggs have blood lines. The eggs under my broody were hatched, the eggs a friend took all hatched, I'm starting to wonder if it could be the incubator?

I just threw out another 3 dozen eggs today that were 7 days old and all had a blood line (I think that's what's it's called, the one clear red line around the inside of the egg, but no other growth or veins or anything)

Blood rings.

Are you using a calibrated thermometer? Your thermometer may be off and you may be cooking them too high.

A blood ring in an egg is caused by the early death of embryo. It will float around if the egg is dead. A vein will remain in place. They grow all over the place but some are darker than others.

So blood rings can happen from it being too hot?

This whole thing is digital, I like my cheap old school one haha that gave me amazing hatches.
It comes with the thermometer built in so I can't calibrate it other than how they have it. I guess I could add an additional one. But I don't think I can even adjust the temperature, it automatically stays at 99.5 I can't alter the setting.

So blood rings can happen from it being too hot?

This whole thing is digital, I like my cheap old school one haha that gave me amazing hatches.
It comes with the thermometer built in so I can't calibrate it other than how they have it.  I guess I could add an additional one.  But I don't think I can even adjust the temperature, it automatically stays at 99.5 I can't alter the setting.

I was having this problem and I bought 2 thermometers to lay in mine. Found out one side of my incubator had a +2 degree hot spot.

Back
Top Bottom