North Carolina

I need some help!

We are moving in October to the pope aaf area. We desperately want to be able to have chickens and I'm having a hard time with finding an area to live.

I'm looking in the areas east of lake surf to spring lake and up to Sanford (not all the way, just 1/2 or so). Dh likes to be within 20mins of the base. I cannot figure out what is inside and outside of city limits, we'd prefer a more country setting.

If anyone can give me specific areas to look at, I'd be ever so grateful!

Thanks!

It all depends on what you are looking for and your budget. There are places with land but they aren't cheap. We are north of town, up Hwy 87, about 30 minutes from the gate and have 10 acres. The drive to post ususally isn't too bad, the drive home is pretty congested. If you want to PM me with details, price, house size, etc, I can make more specific recommendations for areas. I am not a realtor but it seems I am always looking at realty sites. We have been in this house for 9 years so I am pretty familiar with the area. :)

Last edited:
Help. Chick got his head stuck in a torn piece of chicken wire. Ripped the left side of his neck open. I can see the bone. He is acting fine and not bleeding much. Any advice? I have EMT gel

Well, not a good day yesterday. My daughter called me at work and said she found our egg eater. Just happened to be one of our bantam cochins and the friendliest. So I had her put her in a cage and keep her seperated, hoping to try and break that bad habit. Well she calls me about an hour later all tore up, screaming and crying. She went out to check on Nugget and found her dead. She laid an egg and died. I'm thinking heat stroke. She was only just over a year old and a great layer.

Well, not a good day yesterday. My daughter called me at work and said she found our egg eater. Just happened to be one of our bantam cochins and the friendliest. So I had her put her in a cage and keep her seperated, hoping to try and break that bad habit. Well she calls me about an hour later all tore up, screaming and crying. She went out to check on Nugget and found her dead. She laid an egg and died. I'm thinking heat stroke. She was only just over a year old and a great layer.

Sorry to hear this.
hugs.gif

and more heat next week also
barnie.gif

Scott

Lost one of my Brahma hens in the heat yesterday :( :(

Sorry about your loss :(

Help. Chick got his head stuck in a torn piece of chicken wire. Ripped the left side of his neck open. I can see the bone. He is acting fine and not bleeding much. Any advice? I have EMT gel

Oh poor fella! I hope that EMT stuff works! What is it? Is it another chicken go to aid that I need in my arsenal? I recently had to use the poly vi sol for a chick and WOW what a difference it made overnight! My new chick was a "stargazer" so out I went in my PJs to find the stuff after reading about it on BYC! I love this site!

Sorry about your loss too :( Cochins are my favs! I only have LF right now but I do have some bantams in the incubator!!

I'm new to chickens but for this heat I have been freezing lots of milk jugs, juice bottles, pedialite bottles... Whatever I can get... With water. The chickens seem to love it. They lay around them and they lay on top. Once they go in for the night I go around collecting them all to refreeze for the next day. I also picked up one of those snake personal misters from Lowes. It was the only one they had otherwise I would have gotten the rope misters to string around the run. At first they were afraid of the mist. But once they saw the wet ground under it they couldn't resist haha. It's like watching kids run through a sprinkler now! I love my chickens haha. I've been doing the frozen watermelon rinds for them too. Anyone have a fan outside for their chickens?? I'm considering that next because it's getting hot!

Back
Top Bottom