North Carolina

Quote:
Ok, so there are apparently two separate items that are able to be registered for: an NC Farm ID number and a National Premises ID Number. If you click the "More Info" link on the page of the link that you provided it'll take you to a more descriptive article about what is going on. The second paragraph clearly states: "The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is requiring all poultry owners, regardless of the number of birds, to register for an NCFarmID number" and it also states "Poultry owners can also sign up for a national premises ID number, but it is not required". I understand the initial 'purpose' of registering your flock, whether it's two chickens or two dozen chickens, but with the track record of this country and where things have been going... this is only the beginning to, probably, worse things to come. I'm not the only one making a big deal and "up in arms" about it. If the government can ultimately control the food and what we're allowed to have on our property, it can and will control the people. Let me put it this way: I'll register my pets when I finally decide to register my guns... which is never. People that are so easily swayed by the government and do not do anything to stand up for their right and freedoms are Sheeple (which is becoming more of a contracted "disease" than the avian flu because of how the media distorts and manipulates news in order to get the masses to agree or disagree on something). If my birds are healthy, in which I plan to keep them that way, then I don't have to worry about them being culled. If I'm registered and an outbreak happens near me, who's to say that the FDA won't send their posse out to my address and destroy my flock regardless of testing positive or negative? So anyway, to reiterate: I have read the article, and I have clicked through the separate sections and have read those as well. If I am misunderstanding something, I am all ears because I want to be properly informed. However, from what I've read this is not "voluntary" and it doesn't matter how many chickens someone has; everyone must register who has chickens, turkeys, etc. If people are that naive to think this is just to "help poultry owners be informed and one step ahead if there's an outbreak", they are sadly mistaken.
I don't consider myself "up in arms" about the situation, but I agree on not blindly taking orders from any agency that has a less than stellar track record for "helping". Any "requirement" from the government (whether or not they claim it's too "help" you) deserves a second thought by the people it affects. That doesn't make you "up in arms"; it makes you a concerned citizen regarding the decisions being made FOR you by an organization that has no real interest in your rights as an individual or your quality of life in general.

Hey from Mocksville.

Welcome Marsha! I'm Ellen, I live in Advance.
welcome-byc.gif

Hello everyone, I'm a relative newbie in Winston Salem. We had chickens when I was a teenager but I swore I'd NEVER have farm animals or live in the country. So much for that... I now live in the country, have 2 1/2 acres, a huge garden, and 39 chicks with more on the way this week! :lol: Just wanted to stop in and say hi :) My almost 9 week old babies free ranging for the first time the other day.
I'm in Winston, too! Welcome to BYC!

Welcome to the new folks.....glad to meet you
frow.gif

It has been one hot summer but I'm happy that a good many of the hens are still laying.
I do expect that once they start molting the egg production will drop. I just hope we
still get enough eggs for eating. The place will look like there was one great pillow fight
here though
lau.gif

I was just thinking about the inevitable "great molt" coming up as well...should be interesting...I should be able to keep Charlotte Russe stocked with feather earrings!

And in regards to registering your birds, what I haven't seen is what happens if you don't. As of yet, I don't think the mandate has been given any 'teeth.' ??

I have 8 male chicks -not sure of breed free to anyone who wants them. Must come pick up. They hatched 7/14 and came as "packing peanuts" for the other chicks I ordered. Located in east NC around New Bern. I don't need them or have room for them so they are free to whoever wants them.

Back
Top Bottom