North Carolina

So, I've been working on making the chicken pen completely accessible from outside since our roo only likes me. Barring getting rid of him (I've been forbidden - lol), this was my best option. I made rolling nest boxes out of rubbermaid bins with an opening in back. Then I installed a kitty door that we can reach through to collect eggs! It's been great! Now I'm working on an inside barrier that can be closed off from outside so they can be fed and watered. I couldn't find a good year-long solution for watering completely from outside. I'd love ideas, though!

I love it! Brilliant idea! Do you put any grippy stuff underneath shavings? I like how you elevated the boxes too. We've used rubbermaid bins, but on the ground - the hens don't like them much - and they can get wet with heavy rains. This looks much better!

I am in northeastern Tn and am looking for a Buff Orpington rooster. Anyone in western NC with one to sell?

I want one that is not agressive to people.

Thanks.

I love it! Brilliant idea! Do you put any grippy stuff underneath shavings? I like how you elevated the boxes too. We've used rubbermaid bins, but on the ground - the hens don't like them much - and they can get wet with heavy rains. This looks much better!
Thanks!
smile.png
We don't have any grippy stuff, though I thought we might need to get some for under the boxes, but they haven't been sliding around. Inside the boxes, I just put cheap green indoor/oudoor carpet. I put in a little divider that the eggs roll under so the hens can't get to them - right now, the divider is just cardboard taped to the sides. LOL We might do something more permanent since it's working out well.

I'd like to get some kind of trays that we can fill with sand and PDZ for under the roost. Maybe like the trays that come under rabbit cages?

Thanks! :)   We don't have any grippy stuff, though I thought we might need to get some for under the boxes, but they haven't been sliding around.  Inside the boxes, I just put cheap green indoor/oudoor carpet.  I put in a little divider that the eggs roll under so the hens can't get to them - right now, the divider is just cardboard taped to the sides. LOL  We might do something more permanent since it's working out well. 

I'd like to get some kind of trays that we can fill with sand and PDZ for under the roost.  Maybe like the trays that come under rabbit cages?  

Check out Lowes construction by the concrete supplies. There are black dish trays for about $5. We use them as dropping trays in our brooder - they work great!

Those look really good. I think the ones I ordered will work best with the size of our board. I love how chicken keepers come up with such creative uses for things! :)

Hey ya'll, I haven't been on here in ages, thought I'd pop in to say hey and hope everybody is staying dry and am also looking for anybody local with call ducks, fancy pigeons, and show quality silkies that would fit in my cuckoo sizzle project. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom