North Carolina

I think a hawk just grabbed one of my chickens. We were outside and heard a commotion, but never saw the bird. They're fenced in and we're in the city there wasn't a dog, opossum, raccoon, etc so it had to come from the air. There were feathers everywhere, but she got away and ran into the coop. There's a pretty big split in her side (bigger than how it looks in the pic), but it doesn't seem to go down into the meat. I have her separated, but what can I do to get that skin to heal up??? I haven't had a hawk issue in a few years, but when I did previously I didn't have any wounded birds, they were killed. It's under her wing on her one side. THANK YOU! EDIT: a non-chicken friend that has human medical experience recommended I wash it up and try to krazy glue the wound shut, thoughts on this???
I'd also be wary of gluing. A butterfly bandage is not a bad idea though. Keep a topical treatment on it, watch for infection in case you have to use antibiotics. And keep her separated in a small area to limit movement.

It's deeper than I thought at first she's alert but very
stressed

I agree, you don't want to seal that up and risk infection.
If she's still stressed put her in a dark box in a quiet room. I've heard good things about vetericyn healing wounds. Flush it a few times a day and apply your antibacterial ointment/ cream/ spray.

I would be careful about closing it up with a glue - if it gets infected underneath, you would have a real mess. Just flush it out and apply the antibiotic ointment and/or spray it with blue kote.  I like the Granulex better if you can get it. It needs to heal from inside out.  Poor girl! Good luck!

I agree. I would not close with glue for a while. After irrigating REALLY well, I'd use raw honey {anti-bacterial; anti-microbial; anti-fungal.} Next choice would be slippery elm paste several times a day as needed {same as the honey}. Vetericyn spray is another that works well. I absolutely wait on the Blu Kote until it is ready to go back in with the others. The gentian violet makes it really difficult to see the state of the wound. And I wait to glue until there's good healing and the risk of infection has passed. But when it's time to move it back out, that's a good time to spray.

I would take a flesh wound like this ANY day over something internal, like being stepped on. Chickens are amazingly resiliant.

I know NCSU has a Poultry Science department. Does anyone here know if they have any programs for local farmers? Do they do autopsies and the like? Would think with a bunch of students getting poultry degrees there may be opportunities for locals to benefit from it possibly. I just happen to live about 10 minutes from where it looks like their pastures and chicken houses are south of Raleigh. Student vets? Couldn't really find much info online.

Last edited:
I had a chicken get bitten like that before and i did nothing. it was so bad the bone shown through. But later on it lived and had a happy life. sadly she died of a fox attack.
th.gif

Last edited:
Hey to everyone,

I'm a newbie to chickens, but been around farming all of my life. Live in Lincoln Co. near Alexis (outside of Charlotte).

Presently working on an egg hatcher which should be finished in a week or two (waiting on motor for egg turner).

Personally I've always went after quality rather than cheap price. However, money is really tight now because I haven't worked for two months because of complications from surgery. For now I may be forced to hold off on some of my wants as far as breeds go to get started.

One of the big things for us is chickens that are docile around smaller children after that looks and egg color.

If anyone local to within 3 hours away has hatching eggs of quality birds, can you let me know? Here is a list that I'm interested in. As you go down the list they probably become a little more difficult to find toward the bottom. I am aware of Carolina Rare Chicken and Fayetteville NC Poultry.

Black Copper Maran
Ameraucana
Easter Egger
Salmon Faverolle
Silkie
Cochin
Welsummer
Belvedere
Swedish Flower
Isabar
Speckled Sussex
Gold Laced Brahma
Red Cuckoo Orphington

Here again, I don't expect to add all of them in one year, but to have a work in progress.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom