North Carolina

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL..we aren't hatching ducks eggs...My husband is going to eat them. I hear they are great for baking!

yesss.gif
So glad to hear that you have some laying going on there, I can't even get my hens to lay regularly some days I get 10 eggs, other days I get zilch!! At the rate you are going though, you might catch up to Bhep soon!!
gig.gif

Hello out there to everyone in NC, I don't live there anymore. But it is my home sweet home and miss it so. We had to move away last march for my husbands work. I try to get home to visit because i miss it so much. I always thought our summers were, hot!!! well here in my new home in texas we were hard boiled for my first summer!
hey ya! Posits situation here. I just moved to NC from Texas. Far west in el paso, I was roasting every summer! Especially since nobody seemed to have refrigerated air just evaporative aka swamp coolers!!! Ugh!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL..we aren't hatching ducks eggs...My husband is going to eat them. I hear they are great for baking!

lau.gif
Somehow I remember her telling me that's how she got started!! HAHA...jk. BHep did give me some duck eggs and I used them in baking and let me just say...FANTASTIC!! If you make desserts...they definitely enhance the flavor, texture and overall enhance the dessert! Just know that since they tend to be larger than eggs, one duck egg usually counts as an extra large chicken egg in baking terms, so you may need to adjust your recipes accordingly.
big_smile.png

So cruddy news today. I went outside last night decided to do a random head count per usual. I counted 5+ times. I'm missing 3 birds!!! WTF? (pardon the language) Automatically I grab my super high powered flashlight/shop light and go on a hunt. Looked in all the nooks and crannies in the garage, nope. Went outside walked their enclosure super slow looking for escape places or evidence of feathers or something. Nope, tight as a drum and no feathers/carnage. Then proceeded to walk the yard looking everywhere just incase. The chicken enclosure is surrounded by its own fence and the yard is surrounded by a 6 foot fence. No birds, no evidence of an escaped bird being scarfed down by my dog (because for sure if they actually made it into the yard they wouldn't last long. As soon as he got let out to potty he'd find them).

Soo... Today I'm racking my brains. I remember 2-3 days ago I noticed the latch on the outdoor enclosure gate wasn't turned and latched. I thought to myself "Wow, I must be stressed and going nuts because that's soo not like me to forget to latch the gate." I hate to say this because Im new in the neighborhood but I'm thinking one of the neighborhood preteens/teens might have stolen the birds. Im really just guessing but I know my outer gates don't have locks. Which I'm fixing that issue today. Here's the good news. My whole property is wired and under surveillance. The whole yard is covered by two different view points. The gates are also covered. So today I'm going to do another pass in daylight, see if I missed anything. Then sit down with some popcorn and a boatload of patience and start watching days and days worth of surveillance footage. I wish I would have noticed sooner because if it wasn't in the last three days Omgosh that's a lot of watching to do! Last head count I did was a week ago. Ugh! Wish me luck!

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear this! Best of luck to you in your search!!
fl.gif
Here's hoping you catch whomever/whatever took your babies!!

So cruddy news today. I went outside last night decided to do a random head count per usual. I counted 5+ times. I'm missing 3 birds!!! ***? (pardon the language) Automatically I grab my super high powered flashlight/shop light and go on a hunt. Looked in all the nooks and crannies in the garage, nope. Went outside walked their enclosure super slow looking for escape places or evidence of feathers or something. Nope, tight as a drum and no feathers/carnage. Then proceeded to walk the yard looking everywhere just incase. The chicken enclosure is surrounded by its own fence and the yard is surrounded by a 6 foot fence. No birds, no evidence of an escaped bird being scarfed down by my dog (because for sure if they actually made it into the yard they wouldn't last long. As soon as he got let out to potty he'd find them).
Soo... Today I'm racking my brains. I remember 2-3 days ago I noticed the latch on the outdoor enclosure gate wasn't turned and latched. I thought to myself "Wow, I must be stressed and going nuts because that's soo not like me to forget to latch the gate." I hate to say this because Im new in the neighborhood but I'm thinking one of the neighborhood preteens/teens might have stolen the birds. Im really just guessing but I know my outer gates don't have locks. Which I'm fixing that issue today. Here's the good news. My whole property is wired and under surveillance. The whole yard is covered by two different view points. The gates are also covered. So today I'm going to do another pass in daylight, see if I missed anything. Then sit down with some popcorn and a boatload of patience and start watching days and days worth of surveillance footage. I wish I would have noticed sooner because if it wasn't in the last three days Omgosh that's a lot of watching to do! Last head count I did was a week ago. Ugh! Wish me luck!

Oh no Colie!!! UGH Can't believe that! Definitely fix the lock problem, and let us know if you see anything on video survelliance!!

Another note, anyone interested in breeder cages? There is a guy down the road from me who used to breed rabbit beagles, and he has these above ground kennels, that are 3X8 foot with 2X3 houses in them...I think 4 that are 3X8 and 2 that are 4X8 - they have to be taken down and detached from his shed, but he wants 400$ for them, and I swear if I had the money - I'd be all over these cages they are AWESOME.

Last edited:
LOL....as if I could bake anything.....

You let me know when YOU are baking and I'll bring some over!

lau.gif
Somehow I remember her telling me that's how she got started!! HAHA...jk. BHep did give me some duck eggs and I used them in baking and let me just say...FANTASTIC!! If you make desserts...they definitely enhance the flavor, texture and overall enhance the dessert! Just know that since they tend to be larger than eggs, one duck egg usually counts as an extra large chicken egg in baking terms, so you may need to adjust your recipes accordingly.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom