North Dakota

Pics
IF you go to Southwest grain and pay cash you get a discount on their feed. I know its cheaper then runnings. Steffan's torked me off after running out of feed...promising to have some the next day and put me off again. So 2 wasted 30 mile trips was enough for me. The Gladstone elevator has feed oats. The stuff I got last Oct also had dried grasshoppers and some cracked corn mixed in it. The hens love it. I feed free choice and using about half as much layer feed now that I have oats for them also. Cuts the feed bill nicely.

I recall feeding chickens as a kid years ago. We would winter the hens almost souly on oats. A little wheat during the cold snaps. No bought feeds. Just what we had. We would feed a little of the second cutting alfalfa which I still do. They love tearing it apart.

See the special treat at the top of the picture?

Last edited:
Western edge, if you ever find a good keeper tomato let me know. So far I have had the best luck with Tomatillos. I typically just can or freeze the tomatoes. Humans get the ones from the jars and the chickens get the ones from the freezer. It makes my hubs crazy because all he sees is me wasting food, no matter how many times I explain that in theory, I am saving food so we spend less on feed through the winter.

Well, this Tuesday I went to Steffan Feeds. I got 2 bags of what they called "layer blend." I believe what was in the bag is called "mash." They call it layer blend, but they said it will work for all kinds of poultry. Is that true? Or should I still have some Nutrena Meatbird/All Flock? My neighbor says she buys her feed from Woody's, which I saw on the way to Steffan feeds (I come from the west). The kind she gets comes in Pellet form, which I think my Waterfowl are most comfortable with. Now onto my other question. It is called Layer Blend, which means it has to do with Layer. But they also said it works for all poultry. Should I mix it in with my Layer or mix it in with my All-Flock trough?

Such labeled feeds have different minerals like calcium for layers but most of the difference in labeling, Layer, Starter/Grower, Meatbird, Allflock, etc, is the protein content. I would think any mixture of these feeds would be fine for any adult poultry. One thing to watch for , with the finer type of feed, the poultry has a harder time cleaning it up which causes waste. So much for your savings. Starter Grower should be of a lower protein. From day one to 6 weeks old, chicks should be fed only medicated starter/grower. To high of a protein diet can cripple growing chicks. Also they can not digest the high calcium of a layer feed until after they are feathered out.
Marv, I would start by adding a small amount your new feed and let your flock get used to it, then add more as time goes on. Sometimes the hens get picky and will not eat some types of their feed, but its all good stuff and if you make them clean it up you shouldnt have any waste.
I will have to try a bag of Woodeys to see what they have.

Last edited:
I will try a variety of tomato called Long Keeper that I found at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Never have tried tomatillos. Another plant I will try is the mangol beet. Supposed to grow very large and be excellent stock (chicken) feed. These could also be frozen then thawed and fed through the winter.

I live more South Central ND, and I have grown a few kinds of beets and chop them up for the birds. They really like the greens. I think this year I will chop and freeze those too so the birds can have at them through the winter.

Anyone have chicks ordered or planed for this season? What kind and from where?
I ordered 17 Norwegian Jaerhon for white layers and a few Buff Orps for broody hens for hatching.
From Ideal Poultry to arrive around the 16th of May. Should be warmer by then. :)

I have 12 wheaten/blue wheaten Americana eggs, 6 silver partridge silkie eggs and 6 Swedish flower hen eggs all from BYC'ers. They are suppose to come the week of March 10th - 15th.

Anyone have chicks ordered or planed for this season? What kind and from where?
I ordered 17 Norwegian Jaerhon for white layers and a few Buff Orps for broody hens for hatching.
From Ideal Poultry to arrive around the 16th of May. Should be warmer by then. :)

AMAF Easter Egger Female 1 $3.25 $3.25
NPIP NPIP Certificate 1
MMMF Meyer Meal Maker 1
JBGF Black Jersey Giant Female 1 $3.25 $3.25
GGWO Grogel Plus B w/Poultry Order 1 $3.95 $3.95
WBRM White Broiler Male 1 $2.40 $2.40
BNVF Barnevelder Female 1 $9.93 $9.93
PRCF Partridge Cochin Female 1 $4.20 $4.20
WBRF White Broiler Female 2 $2.05 $4.10
SSXF Speckled Sussex Female 2 $3.25 $6.50
SLWF Silver Laced Wyandotte Female 2 $3.25 $6.50
WBRS White Broiler St. Run 2 $2.25 $4.50
BOPF Blue Orpington Female 2 $20.00 $40.00
BUOF Buff Orpington Female 3 $3.08 $9.24
MRK Marek's (HVT) Vaccination Service 18 $0.30 $5.40

the broilers are for my neighbor. To be shipped March 24.

Back
Top Bottom