North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
Ducks are SWH too (why do you think i knew those listings ;) ).  Geese are saddleback pomeranians. Have another 5 shipped to me too, appears will be here Tuesday. 

Are you going to post baby pic of your ducks and geese? i would love to see them.
here is one of my runners that hatched yesterday, 3 pipping right now and at least 6 more any day now.
she/he looks like a little mouse. she is very curious, every time i lift up mamma duck, little baby comes wabbling towards me.

@firedragon1982 did you get your eggs today? can you tell me about setting the SWH? What do I do when I first get mine on Thurs? do I set them in the bator right away or do I set them in a carton for a few hours or a day before I set them? any help would help. I have never incubated shipped eggs.

@firedragon1982 did you get your eggs today? can you tell me about setting the SWH? What do I do when I first get mine on Thurs? do I set them in the bator right away or do I set them in a carton for a few hours or a day before I set them? any help would help. I have never incubated shipped eggs.
I have not had shipped duck eggs, but I set the chicken eggs, fat end up in a carton for at least a day without turning or tilting. Sally Sunshine has some great information on setting shipped eggs. Look on the Incubating with friends thread at the first post. I think she has links to all the important stuff, including shipped eggs.

Ok, with shipped eggs I do open them and set them aircell up in the carton for 12-24 hours. I think I had a batch of mine I left for 2 days waiting for all to get here. They seem to be doing just fine. Some of them were really really dirty, so i did "wash" them under warmer than me temperatures and running water after about 4 hours of adjusting to room temp. Just taking a wet paper towel and trying to wipe as much crud off as I could. Dry them on another paper towel, allow to air dry for another couple hours before putting in incubator. Mark the aircells before putting in the incubator, really helps to know which are loose/detached air cells. I've noticed the washed ones are seeming to do better than the non washed currently.
hu.gif
I know it is a big hot button topic for hatchers. But it appears all the big waterfowl hatchers (metzer farms, holderread) wash their eggs with relative success.

Last edited:
I just checked my schedule and I am not able to make the Monroe show. But I am off for the Kennewick show!! So the DH just said we could take off right after work that morning and go down for it. YAY!! I would like to see a show bigger than the North Idaho Fair... ha ha. Good chance to get some nice eggs or birds..

I'm back! Woke up to reset data on my phone and a pip!!! On another note can you put a duck egg in with chicken eggs. If not does anyone have room to incubate a couple duck eggs for a friend of mine.

Back
Top Bottom