North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Hi,
I posted in the Washington thread and was advised to post here as I am in Spokane.
I've been doing a lot of research and I found this forum to be very helpful. I live in the city with neighbors on both sides of me. I checked our ordinance which allows small flock of domesticated ducks. I am looking at getting no more then three ducks for pets, eggs and weed control. I have a small grassy area about 2500 square feet that is totally organic Kentucky blue grass no weed killer or fertilizer ever! I hand weed dandelions. Is it unrealistic to think the ducks will help keep dandelions down? Also will ducks be good for my grass or kill it if let to forage daily? I'm hoping that's a big enough area for three ducks that they will be a benefit and not kill the grass. I have a six foot fence completely secure. I realize I will need to pick a none flying breed. Best quiet, sweet, pet breeds? I also have a covered dog kennel that I can convert into a duck enclosure at night with a duck house. I'm prepared for them to trample grass in small duck enclosure. I plan to get day old or couple day old ducklings in hopes of imprinting. I work from home so I have all the time. Should I get one duck at a time for imprinting? I would worry at night they would be lonely. If you raise just one duckling at a time what do you do when you have to leave them? With puppies it is ok to leave them in a small safe enclosure for short periods of time alone. Would a duckling be similar? I realize ducks are flock animals as dogs are pack animals. They do better in pairs. Would two or three imprint? Suggestions here? And yes I have dogs and realize I will need to be very careful. However my Chihuahuas are all elderly and have lost their teeth sad.png And my golden retriever also a senior will not be left unattended in presence of ducks. I ordered the duckling diaper package from the mother goose website. I've read on here some people use duck diapers on their pets. Hopefully this will make imprinting cleaner smile.png I would love to just get one at a time but not sure if people have success with this. Any suggestions thoughts welcomed.

First things first, you'll need to have more than one duck at a time. That is rather nonnegotiable. It's rather unlikely they will imprint on you unless you hatch them yourself and spend time talking/singing to the eggs as they develop. Ducks tend to be tame at a young age, then wild as they age out. And female ducks of all breeds are noisy, unless they are a muscovy. Muscovy are quiet, but they can fly. As can mallards. Most domestic breeds can't fly, so you'll be fine there.

The downside to ranging them in the backyard is that ducks compact whatever they are walking on, so all that nice grass will become mushed down rather quickly, especially if they decide they like a certain spot. You may want to ensure there are no covenants for your neighborhood, too.

As for raising them, most of their time should be spent in a brooder until they feather out. Getting chilled slows down their growth as they have to use calories for warmth instead. And they must have constant access to food and water.

do you eat the ducks too? just asking because i was wondering if any of our khaki campbells are males, which im sure there will be at least one, if they are big enough to eat?

We eat our males. The khakis are smaller and don't have a ton of meat like a pekin, but they still dress out nicely.

do you eat the ducks too? just asking because i was wondering if any of our khaki campbells are males, which im sure there will be at least one, if they are big enough to eat?

They should! My male welsh harlequins made a good size. Khakis are similarly built so should be good!

Wow! I just arrived on BYC and will be starting next spring to establish a flock. I have really been interested in the Deathlayers and happy to see you have some chicks. I will be following you with great interest.

Wow! I just arrived on BYC and will be starting next spring to establish a flock. I have really been interested in the Deathlayers and happy to see you have some chicks. I will be following you with great interest.
Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

Waiting for some chicks to hatch (4) on the 19/20th, bought chicks from N40 7 bought today plus the one I had in there...

from the left...blue cochin bantam, leghorn, silver penciled rock bantam, 'nother leghorn, silver sebright, the black is one of my hatched chicks, and 2 NN.

Below is everyone again, but the blue cochin is hiding behind the leghorns.they have a little window they can see the older chicks through

below are the older chicks standing on their side of the window, they are a mess'o bantams.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom