Hamian,
have you checked Craigslist to see how many people are in that business too? I'm not doing this as a business but for more pleasure and have my little one be exposed to what I grew up experiencing it. They usually have a better appreciation of where their food comes from.

I have. There are only a few selling laying hens on Craigslist.
I love that your teaching your little one about chickens. Like you, I grew up with chickens. I didn't get chickens as an adult until we moved to 3 acres in Arlington Tx in 1995. We raised several flocks over the years but took a break when we moved to a smaller lot in 2004. We now live on 30 acres & are setting up a small ranch business. A few cattle & chickens, so far. Everytime we mow the wooded area, we think about getting goats! But then again, we need to beef up our fence in that area. As we are designing our chicken barn, we are making an area for goats or other small animals.

Oh how I wish I had acreage again! I've been a city dweller the past 20 years or so. I miss the country!

I have 2 rsl, 1 each Black Australorp, Delaware, Ideal 236, and 5 EE (1 definitely a roo). The roo will get a chance to stay with a collar and continued good behavior. Failing that, I guess he'll be invited to the table. I'm in an old 'hood with large lots and other chicken folks near, but a loud crowing rooster isn't going to work here.

I bet I could sell more replacement layers here! I had to tell a few folks I was sold out. Not sure how big the market is, but I sold 15 birds to three individuals in two days by posting only on the NextDoor app to my nearby neighborhoods. I got $75/4, $100/6, and $90/5. All delivered within 2 miles of me. Each person either currently had owned or had in the recent past, and already had everything ready.

Yeah there's two official businesses in my neighborhood area that does that.. So no need to compete with that.. Glad to hear NextDoor App is working for you, love that app.. Actually acquired 2 hens thru it, posts of unclaimed or needing rehoming situations that I've become the go to in area lol..
We have:
1 RIR
2 Buff Orphs
1 Anona
1 Barred Rock
1 Brama
& now 3 summer hatch additions from a Broody Buff(breeds unknown but look like crossbreeds)

Oh how I wish I had acreage again! I've been a city dweller the past 20 years or so. I miss the country!

I have 2 rsl, 1 each Black Australorp, Delaware, Ideal 236, and 5 EE (1 definitely a roo). The roo will get a chance to stay with a collar and continued good behavior. Failing that, I guess he'll be invited to the table. I'm in an old 'hood with large lots and other chicken folks near, but a loud crowing rooster isn't going to work here.

I bet I could sell more replacement layers here! I had to tell a few folks I was sold out. Not sure how big the market is, but I sold 15 birds to three individuals in two days by posting only on the NextDoor app to my nearby neighborhoods. I got $75/4, $100/6, and $90/5. All delivered within 2 miles of me. Each person either currently had owned or had in the recent past, and already had everything ready.

I wasn't aware of Nextdoor app. I'll have to look into it. My Redsex Links are really sweet & docile but my Black Australorps aren't much for being picked up & handled. I call them my "girls gone wild". (They're not really wild. They come when called & are very smart. They are the first to go into the coop at night & will alert the others to danger)

When we lived in Arlington, we had a small chicken tractor that my husband build from our son's old wagon. (Still my favorite!) We have thought about building one to sell with the pullets. I hate to see people ripped off with the cheaply made coops they sell at the local farm stores. And it's important to me that whoever buys my girls takes good care of them. On the other hand I know not everyone has the skills to build their own predator proof coop. And some of the homemade coops I've seen people try & sell on 5 mile or Craigslist made we cringe. And they are asking for a lot of money. Here is a pic of one of my RSL, Buttercup.
image.jpg

My rsl are sweet too, and my Australorps are indeed less docile. The delawares and the Ideal hybrid seem very sweet too. The EE are a mixed bag, as you'd expect with mutts I guess. The cuckoo Marans I had (before selling them all. I meant to keep one, but that didn't work out.) were also mostly easy to handle.

View attachment 1022950 Since Texas is so big, several people have mentioned starting a thread for the different areas. I'll continue following the Texas thread & hope you will too. This thread may make it easier to find people in your area of Texas. When searching to determine if one has already been started for North Texas, I didn't find one. I did find one for "East Texas?".

I live in the DFW area. My husband & I took a 12 year break from raising chickens after we moved from acreage in Arlington to a lake property in Azle. We moved to Cottondale, near Paradise & now have plenty of room for chickens & more. I've only raised Barred Rocks in the past but my husband talked me into trying new breeds. We now have juvenile Black Australorps & Golden Sexlinks. We are almost finished with our chicken tractor & next will work on a large stationary coop. Someday I would also like to have ducks. Someone here on BYC asked me if I have green eggs & since my last name is Ham, I thought "GREAT IDEA"! So, soon I will be on the hunt for the breed that lays the greenish eggs!

Where are you in North Texas & tell us about yourself.
Hey I'm from the same area, I just started my coop this past year and if I can get my breeds going good I would possibly like to trade or buy in the future. :)

Hey I'm from the same area, I just started my coop this past year and if I can get my breeds going good I would possibly like to trade or buy in the future. :)

Great! Glad to meet another Chicken person near me. What breeds do you have? Your avatar appears to be a Road Island Red & Easter Egger?? I'm just now learning about different breeds. I only raised Barred Rocks prior to this year.
I've been waiting for the cooler weather before buying my next pullets. I eventually would like to only have green egg layers. That's why I'll be selling the Black Australorps & Red Sexlinks I have now. Not currently advertising, so I should still have some when your ready. Just let me know.

Vera Ham

Right now I have easter eggers, new Hampshire, black Australorp, and buff Orpington. I'm breeding my eggers right now, I've got two roosters and one hen and they are different colors. Once I'm able to get them going I'll be breeding my other girls.

Back
Top Bottom