North to Alaska!

Pics

akpeeps

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Hi all!
Any fellow Alaskans out there? We have 12 hens of various breeds. Four RIR's, three Barred Rocks, a Buff Orphington, Golden Comet, Black Australorp, a Black sex link, and a Gold Laced Wyandott.
This will be our first winter with chickens so any advice on how to winter them over and winterize the coop will be greatly appreciated.

Gayle

welcome-byc.gif

From what I can tell from all our Alaskan BYC members, you guys now have more chickens than moose up there.
wink.png
smile.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

...and I'm trying to keep it that way! LOL!

The chickens do pretty well in the winter... make sure they have a dry/draft free coop to get out of the elements with plenty of roost space, and a heat lamp on the waterer should keep the coop (depending on how big it is) just above freezing. You don't want the coop to be too warm, because it will actually be hard on the birds. There are actually several threads on winterizing birds if you do a search.
smile.png

Hi... I live in Valdez, Alaska. I am hatching runner ducks, and plan to keep a few in my backyard. I have hatched ducks in my classroom, but have given them to other people in this area, and the Kenny Lake area who have ducks.

I have a large shed in my fenced backyard and was going to use part of it for a duck coop I also bought a chain link dog pen to use so they can be outside a bit. I thought I would put a cover on it to keep the Bald Eagles out as they are around town all year long. I have a golden and a border collie, so hopefully they will protect the ducks too.

If any of you other Alaskans have any suggestions for me I would appreciate them. Thanks!

Tia

I am definitely open to breed suggestions! I was also hope to get in touch with a local breeder? I would love to stick with a heritage breed, and have a nice hardy flock.
What are people's opinions on Speckled Sussex?
There are a bunch of local breeders, especially in the Palmer and Wasilla areas. The best way to find them is to get on Facebook and find the Alaska Poultry and Livestock page...and many others.

As to best breeds... I like Sussex, but their small single combs mean that all of those points on their comb will get frostbite. :idunno

Unless of course you decide to keep your coop heated. Don't however close it up tight, as that will cause respiratory issues and disease.

Anyway, I don't get as cold as you, but I am where there is high humidity, so I only rase birds with tiny combs, and clean feet.

Dominiques are a good heritage bird breed with small combs and clean feet. I also have rose comb Leghorns, which actually do count as an older breed. Ameraucanas and EE (clearly not at all heritage) are also nice with their pea combs and covered wattles and clean feet.

I have an article about cold weather poultry housing which should answer most of your questions. I go over breeds at the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Back
Top Bottom