North to Alaska!

Pics
I'm looking for some advice on how to handle a very moody Americana hen, hatched in March (all of my flock was born between March-April). I have ten birds total, four brahmas, two langshans, two polish crested (1 hen 1 roo) and an Americana Roo along with my Americana hen. Everyone gets along great with the exception of my Americana Hen, Ethel. She torments and bullies everyone, even the big Roo, and my Alaskan malamute. To a point where they try and dig under the fencing to get away. She normally isn't aggressive towards me, but the last week she has bitten me a couple times. I don't want to seperate her or find her a new home, so I'm looking for any possible tricks to try and calm her down. Thanks!

How odd.

If you don't want to eat her..I would first see if she is fussy because of diet.

Try feeding her more greens and more protein and more calcium, and see if that helps at all.

How odd.

If you don't want to eat her..I would first see if she is fussy because of diet.

Try feeding her more greens and more protein and more calcium, and see if that helps at all.
Thank you! I will try that. I have tons of kale growing in the garden so I will up the offerings. I don't have the heart to eat her : / although if she keeps up the nasty attidude I might change my mind.

I've heard a few people in alaska call chickens "bear bait" and it made me laugh. But sometimes when I'm out hiking I feel that way too
lau.gif

Allsummedup - Do you still have your Banty rooster? Is he friendly? I have a friend , in Fairbanks, who has had a small (not sure the breed) hen for years. When she gets other chix (mostly for meat) she hangs with them but is all alone all winter in her heated garage. I keep telling her she needs a FRIEND!

Last edited:
Does anyone here in AK have experience with Buckeyes? I live around Central, colder than cold - but have only been through one winter with chickens. Not so great of an experience although most survived. I am off-grid and use a generator when necessary. During the 30-60 below weeks I ran the generator 24/7. Is there some super duper, hardier than a trapper, egg-laying, wonder-woman chicken out there that I have never heard of?

Last edited:
It does get into the 90's occasionally here. Locals say it's unusual but . . still happening. I had 3 unexplained deaths during the heat. Like heart attacks or something. Just not having very good LUCK with chickens.

Thanks for the advice. I have never heard of either breed but that doesn't mean anything since I'm just learning about chickens, in general. And the hard way. Mine have small wattles and pea combs. I know that's important. I will look up those two breeds.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom