Northeast Poultry Congress 2013

just seeing this, would LOVE to go (to observe) and am wondering for those who have been before or in the know, is there a large amount of vendors? and what type of stuff are they selling?? or is it basically just selling birds?? thanks for any info
diane
There are a huge number of vendors. If you want to get there early, coop in time is Friday at 3pm until 9pm. I will have my birds there during that time.

So, I want to get at least two new Silkie hens/pullets to breed in the spring. What kind of prices are good quality hens going for these days? At least breeding quality, doesn't have to be show quality. I'll be looking for something appropriate for my splash cockerel.
I think at least $40 for a breeding quality pullet. I'm selling straight run for $10 each. I would not sell a pullet for less thath $40.

I think at least $40 for a breeding quality pullet. I'm selling straight run for $10 each. I would not sell a pullet for less thath $40.
That's what I was thinking. I just bought a breeding pair of Cochins for $75. I got $25 off because I lived fairly close to the breeder and I plan on breeding the birds. So, if breeding quality Cochins are going fo $50 a piece, Silkies must run about the same. I'll have to bring a bunch of cash with me.
lol.png

I have not attended this event before. Does the sale portion of it run for both days? I can only make it on Sunday and am looking for bantams (various breeds). Is there usually alot for sale?

I have not attended this event before. Does the sale portion of it run for both days? I can only make it on Sunday and am looking for bantams (various breeds). Is there usually alot for sale?
I think so, my friend said she is going down sunday and she is planning on selling chicks.

Sue, I didn't ask what color Silkies you will have for sale.
I will have blue and splash. Most are pet quality.
Mostly blue, some black. I might bring a couple of whites if they hatch. They are all young so about all I can tell about them will be the toes, etc.
They are sired by a black cockerel from Blakes Sensational Silkies, one of her black hens, and the other hens are from CJ's.

I have a dumb question, how do we cart around any chickens that we may purchase at the show? Do people bring dog kennels, cardboard cat boxes etc? Is there a trick like using a pull behind luggage carrier with boxes strapped on top?

I have a dumb question, how do we cart around any chickens that we may purchase at the show? Do people bring dog kennels, cardboard cat boxes etc? Is there a trick like using a pull behind luggage carrier with boxes strapped on top?
Good question.
I was thinking of bringing my cat carrier. It'll fit about 2 hens...all I need.
big_smile.png
Maybe I'll throw some card board boxes in my car.

It is a good idea to bring a container (I bring a cat-carrier type) or two in case you find anything you like.
I'll be looking for some show quality LF pullets or eggs of the following varieties:
Silver-Laced Wyandottes
Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes
Black Sumatras
Buff-Laced Polish
Creme Legbars
Royal Palm Turkeys

I'm especially interested in SLWs and Sumatras - if anyone has a line on quality local breeders, please drop me a PM.
Hope to see some of you at the show!
Thanks,
-Randall

Back
Top Bottom