Northeastern Poultry Congress - Springfield, Mass - Jan 15-16, 2011

I hope you can make it, it's a great show. I'd love to see your birds
smile.png

Quote:
ohhhh, me too i cant wait to see your birds in person, all your pics you have such beautiful silkeis.

Thanks. Are you showing? I went in 08, just to look around, didn't show anything. Didn't make it last year though. Wish I had.

I have to move the birds into the garage, probably this weekend. I have them up on wire now, but it is going to get pretty cold this weekend, so into the garage they go, in deep shavings.

I'll be showing. I plan to bring silkies in black, white, and self blue, also polish in wc black, chocolate, and khaki
smile.png

Quote:
ohhhh, me too i cant wait to see your birds in person, all your pics you have such beautiful silkeis.

Thanks. Are you showing? I went in 08, just to look around, didn't show anything. Didn't make it last year though. Wish I had.

I have to move the birds into the garage, probably this weekend. I have them up on wire now, but it is going to get pretty cold this weekend, so into the garage they go, in deep shavings.

Yep i am going to show, not sure which ones, i know and hopeing a couple of showgirls.
maybe a couple of phoenix if there tails come back in, in time.
a couple of oeg, polish.
I know the temp is going to drop, i have to hook up the heater in the coop.

i have been wanting to show one of my faverolles hens, and maybe i will bring one of my roos!. and i have been thinking about bringing their daughter too! what is the youngest usually recommended to show birds? the young one will be at 7 months by that time!

i could always use some tips on showing since i have never done it before. so anything can help me out! should i take my girls out of the pen and keep them separated form the other chickens for the next 2 months, or should i wait till a few weeks before the show? they are a feather footed breed but both girls seems to keep their lovely feathers very clean with everyone stepping on them!

i do know to pen them separately for a couple of weeks in an area to get them used to people walking by their cages. but do i have to bring food, water, and the feeder cups for my birds?

what about toe nails on the birds? i trim them back with clippers but i am not sure if i would have to try and file the sides and shape them.

Hey Julie! Thanks for pointing me to this thread.
big_smile.png
I really hope we can make the trip up--the show sounds great, and I've never visited Massachusetts. NYC is about as far north as I get on the east coast!
lol.png
The trio class sounds like fun. Hopefully by the time January rolls around I'll have more Dutch--and maybe a few Polish--in condition to show. The Dutch I took to Ohio were really a little on the young side, but they should actually be finished by then.

Chickie'sMoma, I don't know anything about Favs, but it depends on the breed and the individual bird as to when they are mature enough. I showed several Dutch last weekend at Ohio & they were a bit on the young side--a little over 6 months. Another Dutch breeder told me that they like to wait 'till about 8 months to show their Dutch, and I agree. These guys I took could have really benefited from an extra couple of months to really mature. Of course, this is that one specific breed, though I do know that my Polish really aren't ready much before 8 months either. But if you want to bring your young one, I say go for it. I have found that the best way for me to learn about where I need to go with my breeding program is to get the birds out to the shows! Even if your pullet is a bit young, you'll learn lots. I certainly benefited from getting my young ones out to a few shows.

I keep my birds separate & off the ground if I am planning on showing them. Shows usually provide disposable water cups, shavings in the cages, and bags of feed for everyone to use. But I always bring my own water and food cups (you may want to look into something like the pop bottle waterers--we use these to keep our Polish from dunking their crests in their water at a show--these would also help keep those Fav beards dry!), my own feed (I like to keep the birds on what they are used to), and extra shavings (because what they bed the cages with is never enough, and it helps to throw in extra from time to time to keep them from stepping in poo!). Some folks also bring their own water, though I usually just fill up at the tap at the show. My birds aren't picky.
smile.png

I file the edges of clipped nails if they get that little rolled edge on the side. I also use a metal file to shape beaks after I trim. I may be a tad bit over-the-top with the grooming, though.
lol.png

thanks for the tips Crunchie! i have the next few days off from work so i will look over those toe nails and clean them up a bit! i think i can understand bringing your own food since i wouldn't know what type of protein amount they are feeding. and for those that go organic you want to keep them on that type of feed too!. i certainly know about the messy beard on favs! i'll look out for those water bottles!

i've been watching my little Delilah and wondering if she will get a little more heft to her in the next month or 2. sometimes i do know favs take some time to get that nice fullness to them and she seems to be growing slower that the unrelated boys that hatched out with her. she's not as clean looking in the breast as her mom but she does have that wonderful look going for her! i will keep an eye on her and hold off sending any paperwork till i am sure about her.

Back
Top Bottom