Northeastern Poultry Congress - Springfield, Mass - Jan 15-16, 2011

Chickie'sMoma :

i have been wanting to show one of my faverolles hens, and maybe i will bring one of my roos!. and i have been thinking about bringing their daughter too! what is the youngest usually recommended to show birds? the young one will be at 7 months by that time!

i could always use some tips on showing since i have never done it before. so anything can help me out! should i take my girls out of the pen and keep them separated form the other chickens for the next 2 months, or should i wait till a few weeks before the show? they are a feather footed breed but both girls seems to keep their lovely feathers very clean with everyone stepping on them!

i do know to pen them separately for a couple of weeks in an area to get them used to people walking by their cages. but do i have to bring food, water, and the feeder cups for my birds?

what about toe nails on the birds? i trim them back with clippers but i am not sure if i would have to try and file the sides and shape them.

I bring a couple brown lunch bags filled with shavings, sometimes the cages dont have enough in. I also bring water from home, and put some vitamins and electrolytes in them.​

on that water thing, i think i understand that too. some parts of MA have horrible tasting water! (most family are in Lynn and Saugus area and they just add too many chemicals to it.
sickbyc.gif

Chickie'sMoma :

on that water thing, i think i understand that too. some parts of MA have horrible tasting water! (most family are in Lynn and Saugus area and they just add too many chemicals to it.
sickbyc.gif

hehehe she means, electrolytes for teh chickens. it helps on teh stress.​

Quote:
Hey, Julie! Thanks for the heads-up about this thread. I am planning right now to drive up there for the show ... but, really, Mass. in January! hehe Hope it isn't a winter like last year - that'll be a challenge!

Looks like I'll be showing bantam Polish, modern games, rosecombs, a silkie or two (possibly), and standard blue-laced red wyandottes (my roo should be in good feather then).
smile.png

See ya'll there!

Quote:
Hey, Julie! Thanks for the heads-up about this thread. I am planning right now to drive up there for the show ... but, really, Mass. in January! hehe Hope it isn't a winter like last year - that'll be a challenge!

Looks like I'll be showing bantam Polish, modern games, rosecombs, a silkie or two (possibly), and standard blue-laced red wyandottes (my roo should be in good feather then).
smile.png

See ya'll there!

Hey now, it's not THAT bad...actually last year it was in the 60s the whole weekend! Although it's the first time I've ever seen it like that, maybe it could happen again? LOL

Sounds like you'll have a ton to show
smile.png

Quote:

smile.png

See ya'll there!

Hey now, it's not THAT bad...actually last year it was in the 60s the whole weekend! Although it's the first time I've ever seen it like that, maybe it could happen again? LOL

smile.png

LOL The 60's, eh? Well, that WOULD be nice! Ok ... I'm thinking positive.
wink.png

O'course, you realize that if we get snowed in, Maria and I will be descending upon your hospitality!
gig.gif
Just kidding!!!!!

Quote:

smile.png

LOL The 60's, eh? Well, that WOULD be nice! Ok ... I'm thinking positive.
wink.png

O'course, you realize that if we get snowed in, Maria and I will be descending upon your hospitality!
gig.gif
Just kidding!!!!!

Well considering the year before last we got 2 feet of snow Friday night, I should probably shut my mouth
roll.png

Usually it's just cold LOL

Hi there!
New to chickens this year, so I won't be showing, but am planning to take a trip up to see all the pretty chickies and see what chicken showing is all about! Any suggestions as to what"s the best day &/or time to go?
I read on the website they have a "sales area". Are there usually lots of birds for sale?

I am specifically hoping to get my hands on a really good quality Mottled cochin hen and maybe a Partridge as well. I hear there's a decent Cochin turnout???

I'm very excited! I checked out chickens at some of the local fairs this year and some were SO disappointing. I'm really looking forward to seeing some really nice birds!
And maybe put some faces to names on here, too
lol.png

~Terry

Quote:
Hi Terry,

If you're looking for sale birds, the time to be there is Saturday morning. The sales area will be in the back room, but there should be some sort of guide to help you find your way around. Saturday is also the day that most of the judging is done.

You should have no trouble finding some great cochins for sale
smile.png

Look forward to seeing you there!

Back
Top Bottom