--- ??? Northern Bobwhite Life Exspectancy ??? ---

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello,

Just read many articles online that says their life expectancy is under 1 year and the mortality rate is 90% within its first year? Really? I never knew that...how come so short?

So that means all the ones I picked out to breed this year will be gone by the following year? OMG! I mean, even if you raise them like pets and not as productions in large pens/avairy...will that change anything?

I am so bummed to find this out because most of mine right now are SOOO mellow. Took a long time to make them like that.

Anyone raised them before here?

Any advice would be great.

Looking forward to keeping them for at least 3-4 years!!!

- Tommy

PS: What about for the California Valley Quail, is that true for them too?

I believe the life span of quail is less than a year in the wild. They unfortunately are food for every creature out there. It's amazing the species even survives, but it does.
I read that quail in captivity live 5-6 years. I have kept quail as pets and they live longer than a year. So enjoy!!

Tommy, some of our older bobwhites turned 4 years old in March and appear as strong and vigorous as their very first year. If raised correctly in captivity they have excellent longevity. By correctly I mean, keeping them safe from predators, keeping them free of disease and parasites and providing correct feed during the specific times of the year. Have fun with them and plant a wild blueberry bush too - they love them!

I am very glad to hear...

They are due to lay soon. Very excited!!! : )
wee.gif

- Tommy

PS: Hay, 25% Protein, Shade and Sun Area...Plenty of Water. Hope I am doing right : )

Back
Top Bottom