--- ??? Northern Bobwhite Life Exspectancy ??? ---

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TommyVT05, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hello,

Just read many articles online that says their life expectancy is under 1 year and the mortality rate is 90% within its first year? Really? I never knew that...how come so short?

So that means all the ones I picked out to breed this year will be gone by the following year? OMG! I mean, even if you raise them like pets and not as productions in large pens/avairy...will that change anything?

I am so bummed to find this out because most of mine right now are SOOO mellow. Took a long time to make them like that.

Anyone raised them before here?

Any advice would be great.

Looking forward to keeping them for at least 3-4 years!!!

- Tommy

PS: What about for the California Valley Quail, is that true for them too?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I believe the life span of quail is less than a year in the wild. They unfortunately are food for every creature out there. It's amazing the species even survives, but it does.
    I read that quail in captivity live 5-6 years. I have kept quail as pets and they live longer than a year. So enjoy!!

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    I am relieved...

I will keep them as long as they live. They are beautiful and peaceful buggers. Haha

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Tommy, some of our older bobwhites turned 4 years old in March and appear as strong and vigorous as their very first year. If raised correctly in captivity they have excellent longevity. By correctly I mean, keeping them safe from predators, keeping them free of disease and parasites and providing correct feed during the specific times of the year. Have fun with them and plant a wild blueberry bush too - they love them!

5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    I am very glad to hear...

They are due to lay soon. Very excited!!! : ) [​IMG]

- Tommy

PS: Hay, 25% Protein, Shade and Sun Area...Plenty of Water. Hope I am doing right : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by