Pics
Honey gave us a cute little green egg today!
20230810_143937_exported_81662~2.jpg

So eggcited!! 9 down, 2 to go!!!

Ah ok, I thought it was either cream/white or green with the two breed possibilities; then definitely it was probably BBQ:love it's funny how much faster she grew since all three are the same age, gotta be a breed thing🐔💗

I agree! I always make a big deal and thank them, with my own little wierdo egg dance :wee every time I get an eggy!!
Lol, I am glad to find out that I can report to my husband and daughter that I am not the only one that thanks their chickens each day for laying an egg. I thank them each personally because I know by the uniqueness of the egg, which one laid what, lol. My hubby and adult daughter think I am crazy! 🤪

It's crazy NOT to say thank you! :bow

Yea, it's lucky mine also lay fairly different egg shapes/colors/sizes from one another, and I also thank them individually.

20230810_143937_exported_107904.jpg

Teriyaki started laying 2 days ago, a light green one, so now I've got one left before they are all "laying rent." 10 down, 1 to go :wee

It's official, all my hens are laying!!!:wee:yesss:
20230810_143937_exported_56355~2.jpg

Sesame^, the last/smallest of our pellets, is now laying little green eggs!

I've got 11 hens & 3 roos, everyone gets along, except for the expected pecking, and they all seem fat & happy which is all I ever want. The roos have a very defined pecking order, with the smallest (Crazin- Black Astralorp) being head roo, followed by Noodle-RIR & the biggest roo (Popcorn-Cuckoo Maran) being lower in rank than 2 of my hens (Biscuit-White Leghorn & Nugget-EE, the OGs) which I guess works.

So happy!!!:celebrate

It pays to be willing to work out a solution when it is not the obvious easy way out! I learned by trial and error mostly, that sometimes more than one rooster could be kept in the same coop and run, besides separate bachelor groups. Having enough hens to keep them happy is number one, and eliminating any overtly aggressive rival roosters. Sometimes you get lucky with a natural "chicken " rooster who will still take care of business. I have found it depends also on varieties with some being very aggressive. About seven to eight plus hens per rooster is about right usually, when it does work. Avoid introducing an adult rooster into a flock with an adult rooster preexisting. If they grew up together it usually makes things better, as they already have developed some hierarchy. I have had large rooster bachelor flocks that I neglected to harvest until well mature with no major injuries from fights, only minor quick squabbles. No hens may be present or fights will develop, with a lot of roosters and a few hens. Raise the roosters with the hens from the start or when still very young and have plenty of hens and with good luck it can work. My largest rooster currently is a Partridge Cochin we call Tojo Yamamoto as he is huge! Similar a sumo wrestler. He is such a wimp to my smaller Welsummer rooster who is very dominant and has made other roosters impossible to keep with him, that the Cochin survives without fighting by running away always and keeping away from the Dominant rooster as much as possible. That satisfies the Welsummer , I think , because he is relieved he doesn't get challenged back by the giant Guy that dwarfs him. Best wishes for your flocks and adventures in chickens!

Back
Top Bottom