1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NORTHERN California!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by lindseythefork, May 13, 2009.

1. bealove

bealove New Egg

May 10, 2011
    hey there nor-cal!
    i understand northern california... not as north as you though!
    i am in mendo, potter valley, 20 min north east of ukiah.
    have 6 hens, one cat, one big 'ol dog, a daughter and another on the way! so i got a feel for what you have going on too.
    just wanted to say hello to a fellow nor-cal mama!!!

2. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Quote:We are in the process of getting bonded. I usually walk them through the vineyard or have them with me when I am working out there. No problems with them because our cordons are pretty high. Once the grapes are ripe, they have to stay out. We are very active in the viticulture association in Shasta County. I even have 3 other wine friends getting chickens! We go to Chico about once a month.

3. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Quote:We are in the process of getting bonded. I usually walk them through the vineyard or have them with me when I am working out there. No problems with them because our cordons are pretty high. Once the grapes are ripe, they have to stay out. We are very active in the viticulture association in Shasta County. I even have 3 other wine friends getting chickens! We go to Chico about once a month.

I'm just south of you in the Cottonwood area:)

Trisha

4. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Hi Northern CA folk,
    I currently live in Eureka, CA and have a backyard flock of 3 lovely australorp ladies, and two who turned out not to be ladies. The boys are supposed to be rehomed sometime this week though so three hens it will be. Is anyone else having a problem with rats? They're diggin in between the concrete footings for my 4x4's and the wire mesh... any suggestions?

5. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Quote:I taught in Cottonwood but now I am in Anderson. I just hatched 5 Barnvelders. I am excited to see them. They came from back east. Excited to know there is someone so close.

Denise

6. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Hi Denise,
    Congrats on the new chicks! Do you know what lines your Barnevelders came from? Of course if you need more...just let me know;) [​IMG] Which school did you teach at? My son starts KG soon:)

Trisha

7. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Most of you know that my best friend is suffering from Cancer. They now have found a blood clot and is on bedrest hoping that it will dissolve instead of going to her brain or heart. I've been with her most of the time.

I really need my friends help on this thread. She has a wonderful, sweet, sweet sweet lovable chocolate labrador that she just can't take care of anymore. I already have 2 labs and can't take him. If anyone knows of a loving caring family that can take him for free, please let me know.

Max was a rescue and came to live with Sharon 3 years ago. We estimate his age to be about 6 years, he has just recently had all of his shots. He seems a bit lean to me but with a family that can take care of him properly, I'm sure he'll fatten up in no time!

Max is really the sweetest dog. He loves being with people. Very sweet with kids of all ages. Just a gentle soul. We are looking for a new home ASAP. Here are some pictures of Max and the coop/run that I built at her house. I'm taking care of the chickens daily, they really bring Sharon so much joy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Cheryl, first of all, how awesome for Sharon to have a good friend like you to be with her and look after her animals while she's fighting the good fight.

Secondly, Max is GORGEOUS. I'd take him in a heartbeat if I had the space for him, but our place is only a 1-bedroom, and we already have a chocolate lab, two cats, and 33 chickens. My oldest son was looking for a good companion dog a couple of months ago. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he's still looking for one. He has always been really good with dogs and cats (chickens and livestock are not his thing, though), and right now he doesn't have any animals. My granddaughter (age 5-1/2)would get the biggest kick out of it if her daddy brought home a doggie!

9. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA

So you must know Indian Peak Vineyards, in Manton, CA. We carry their wine. We're trying to organize a road trip for our customers to visit them and I think, 5 other wineries in that area.

Have you considered gathering your chicken manure to fertilize your grapes?

10. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Thanks to all that inquired about max!! He's gone to a lovely home with Anna b happy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by