Northern Fowl Mites- They killed my rooster... or at least helped. ARG

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
I had a cochin rooster with some weird sudden leg paralysis thing going on- assumed it was botulism or something of that nature because he went from fine to flopping like a fish over night. Anyway, four days later he's doing better and can actually walk around.

HOWEVER, I've had him in quarantine in a crate like any sane chicken owner would do, and after checking on him after the first day I thought he was covered in reddish dust from the bedding pellets I use. Didnt think anything of it. Well every day he was more and more covered. I just figured it was part of the pellets. This is fourth day of him being in the box and I just today realized HE IS COVERED IN FREAKING MITES!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGUUUUUUHHHHH!!!! *barf* And by covered, I mean COVERED. Theyre living on him like he's a buffet table. They appear to be Northern Fowl Mites since theyre active day and night, and the right color for them.

THANK GOD I had 10 pounds of DE left over from dusting the coop and foundation in the fall. I dusted him, the box, the barn floor, the coop, the hens, the run, and everything else I could think of.

*shutters* I had them ON ME. OOONNNN MEEEEE, by the hundreds from when I picked him up to check on him today.

blech.

Anyway, the DE should take care of them right? I think I might dust everyone again day after tomorrow or so. What do you think?

The rooster is new to me, I got him... ooooh, I think a week after thanksgiving. And the box I brought him home in has the same pellets and bedding in it that they came in- it was a short ride and he andhis hen didnt make a mess so I left it. Would the mites come from that and him and their first home, or from my birds? No one else appears to have mites except the roo that was in the box.

Last edited:
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
How gross is that!!!
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

I think you will have to get some Poultry Dust if he has them that bad. I do not think that DE alone will take care of an infestation that bad.

I could be wrong, so don't hold me to it.

Ivermectin pour-on is also very effective. Tea tree oil worked into the roosts (do not put directly on the chooks) will kill them dead as well. NFM's prefer rooster butt (they like the feathers near the fundament, not hen fluff) and roos are more likely than not to be the canary in the coal mine of the flock for this pest.

Checking them with a loupe or other magnifier after they go to roost is useful (mites out and about sucking blood at night). If chooks have any contact with wild birds this is an irritant that needs to be guarded against.

Sevin, used moderately, is fine and will work. Another alternative is a permethrin based substance (Adams Tick and Flea Spray has been mentioned in earlier threads).

Back
Top Bottom