Northern VA area. How deep should I predator proof?

Mishyk

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
I am creating a structure for my coop AND "mini run" to sit on. My plan was to bury cinderblock and hardware cloth to make it predator proof. is 12" deep enough or do you think I need to go deeper?

ETA The "mini run is the space below the coop and small hardware cloth covered area that came with my coop. They will have a much larger space for a run but I want to predator proof the area they will be sleeping in.

Many peeps choose to predator-proof the exterior with a hardware cloth apron 2 feet out, and just below the surface, couple of inches. This way a burrowing animal is stopped before he gets very deep.
Going with cinder blocks 12 inches deep I think is also sufficient, and I do see it as more labor than previous mentioned option.
Whatever you choose should work.
BTW, what burrowing predators are you trying to stop??
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I am creating a structure for my coop AND "mini run" to sit on. My plan was to bury cinderblock and hardware cloth to make it predator proof. is 12" deep enough or do you think I need to go deeper?
Please post pics of what you have.

Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

I attempted to draw what I am thinking. I know my predator load is hawks, rats, mice, opossum, raccoon, bear, owl, and skunk. Also I am very close to Shenandoah National.Forest and back up against the South Fork of the Shenandoah River.

I have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence around my back yard where chickens will free range during the day when I am present. They will have an approximately 20'x20' run enclosure that will be 6' tall, of standard welded 2"x4" hole fencing. The posts for this will be 4x4x8, sunk 24". The standard welded fencing will be mounted to the outside of the 4x4s. Standard chicken wire will be mounted to the inside of the 4x4s. There will be a roof over the run that will be made of the 2"x4" welded wire. There will be motion lights shining on this run to deter nocturnal predation. The coop will be inside this run. The run is for daytime use when I am not outside with them.

My husband asked me why the two types of wire on the fence. My thinking is that it would help keep predators who might try to reach through the fencing additional trouble. Also if something tries to reach one of my chickies through the fence, that is an additional 3" of advantage chickie will have to move away.

In my head I can certainly under-proof my coop but not over-proof. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20210324_123247.jpg
    20210324_123247.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 26
What do you think?
It's a nice illustration.
Good way to attach to framing......but where is it going, underneath the run?
Not sure if you saw the link I provided for anti-dig aprons.

Not sure how frequent your bear encounters may be, but you will need an electrified energizer to deter those . If you would have that setup, installed correctly, it would greatly enhance your coop protection.
Ditto Dat......Definitely need hot wire for bears.

I don't expect bears as if they do show up, they would find the neighbors trash much less trouble to access. Food and extra bedding is in metal trash cans in a locked shed. The fence around the yard is 6 feet high.

The framing in the drawing is going under the coop. There will be a separate fence around the run, including an attached fence cover (with shady areas as well). So highly secured coop, enclosed in a secured run, enclosed in a 6' privacy fence.

I have to go back and look at the apron you posted. Very interested. Thank you for your help and advice! I started my thought process with preventing/deterring the largest predators and worked my way backward to protecting against the smallest. I am down to thinking about mouse/vole prevention. I am thinking a spare metal trash can in the run and putting the feeder in it every night might be a good way to go.

Predator aprons work by just covering the ground 2 to 3 feet from the fenceline. Once the animal starts digging they hit the fence and they get frustrated and quit. They don't think to keep backing up and go under it so burying cinderblock below that is extraneous. Tack down with stakes, like for landscape cloth. If you run electric fence at the base and every few feet above that then bears, canines, felines, and anything else that's large will avoid it as well. Light isn't always a deterrent although you might be using it to attract your attention. I would enclose the coop in the fence to further separation, leaving just the nest box in reach and very secure.

Back
Top Bottom