Northern Virginia

@annabellaknits ,
I've read through your response a couple of times and I'm still confused. What is AI? And the ducks carry it more than chickens but don't get it, but then did I understand correctly that ducks get it easier than chickens?? We keep our ducks and chickens separate except for very rare occasions. And did the folks teaching the class say what the root cause of AI is? How does it initially affect the flock or a bird?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate your response.

@annabellaknits

I've read through your response a couple of times and I'm still confused.  What is AI?  And the ducks carry it more than chickens but don't get it, but then did I understand correctly that ducks get it easier than chickens??  We keep our ducks and chickens separate except for very rare occasions.  And did the folks teaching the class say what the root cause of AI is?  How does it initially affect the flock or a bird?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate your response.

Every poultry owner should know about AI. It is avian influenza same as the flu that we gat but the poultry strains are H5 and H7. The class was taught by the state vet.
What I was explaining is that AI is carried by water fowl aka ducks. AI effects water fowl in there guys which doesn't kill them so they carry the virus but you don't know it. When passed to chickens it effects there lungs and it kills them. AI is not common but there have been outbreaks of it in the last two years. When it does hit entire flocks die. And any flock within a specific distance of a known case must be killed to stop the outbreak. Last year it was all over the news when the outbreak happened and over 200000 birds had to be wiped out. You should be able to find a lot of info on the web. Also you can send eggs to the vet and get them tested every six months to get an AI clean certification.

Hi guys ,,,also in Va,(about an hour from Manassas)kinda new&had peeked in on a different thread.
We tried a few golden l.l.'s this month.
Next up will be dominiques(in my personnel top three fav's of varietys!)
I had hoped for a few polish for a few years now but I guess the timing just had been off so far.
Reading lots of new fun stuff here&I hope more Virginians will chime in!

Every poultry owner should know about AI. It is avian influenza same as the flu that we gat but the poultry strains are H5 and H7. The class was taught by the state vet.
What I was explaining is that AI is carried by water fowl aka ducks. AI effects water fowl in there guys which doesn't kill them so they carry the virus but you don't know it. When passed to chickens it effects there lungs and it kills them. AI is not common but there have been outbreaks of it in the last two years. When it does hit entire flocks die. And any flock within a specific distance of a known case must be killed to stop the outbreak. Last year it was all over the news when the outbreak happened and over 200000 birds had to be wiped out. You should be able to find a lot of info on the web. Also you can send eggs to the vet and get them tested every six months to get an AI clean certification.
Thanks for the clarification. I just couldn't figure out the AI part... Was drawing a complete blank. Now spelled out makes much more sense.
I'm very keen to our flocks health. Did the state reps give specific information on where to find the location of outbreaks or incidents for a region or state? We're looking for a solid and reliable source.

Thanks Again,
Troy & Tina

Thanks for the clarification.  I just couldn't figure out the AI part... Was drawing a complete blank.  Now spelled out makes much more sense. 
I'm very keen to our flocks health.  Did the state reps give specific information on where to find the location of outbreaks or incidents for a region or state? We're looking for a solid and reliable source.

Thanks Again,
Troy & Tina 

There hasn't been an outbreak in VA. And I would say just go with an NPIP and AI clean

There's bull run custom slaughtering on sublet Rd in Catharpin. He said he would charge $3-$5 per bird but couldn't do it during hunting season. I don't think her comes up anywhere but could get the number if you'd like? I haven't used him yet...

I would also like to hear of other places people use it have heard of?

Back
Top Bottom