Northwest Florida newbies

FamilyofThree

Chirping
Dec 1, 2022
I have been reading a lot of great info on this forum since the spring when we were first gifted four chicks. A few months later we were given two more for a total of six. They are all Rhode Island Reds. They've been happy, healthy, and super-productive. Their favorite food is dry oatmeal. We have a large home-made coop that's more like a shed with a concrete floor, solid construction, and big hardware cloth covered windows since we know our neighborhood has rats. We often let our girls free range in the yard with us around, but keep them secured in their coop and run while we are away. Something attacked them in their run today and I can't figure it out from Google searching or on the previously posted threads here. Anyway, that was a sad reason to go ahead and finally sign up instead of just lurking, but here we are now with five chickens at the moment, hoping that number doesn't change again too soon.

Welcome to BYC! So sorry for the loss of one of your birds. :hugs Do you know how the attacker got in?

The thread 'BYC Trophies Points' explains what the hatching title is.
Thank you for your caring response! It appears the attacker got through an opening in the netting we had covering the fence of the run. It was a midday attack. The living chickens had various scratches on combs or legs and all seem shaken up to different degrees. There were signs of a tussle throughout the coop and run. The chicken who died was intact but with puncture marks near the neck. None of the eggs had been taken either.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. This is a great place to explore and hang out.
Hate to ask how where the birds killed ? eaten, taken.
I am glad you asked. One bird was killed. The others were injured. Nothing was eaten, either birds or eggs. The dead bird had puncture marks at the neck and there were scratches on the living ones.

Back
Top Bottom