Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
Woot, congrats Roosterfry! That is an awesome rate of lay. May we populate teh world with Jaers!

Hello iahills! I am not real well-versed in genetics, but I can tell you the down color on the dark variety adults is gray. From pics of last summer's chicks, their down is gray-tan. I'll find a pic here...

Nice picture
smile.png

Two weeks ago I received my hatchery order of 8 Jaerhons, 3 Spitzhaubens and 3 Cream Brabanters. They included 7 packing peanuts, which were noticeably larger than the breeds ordered. (I believe the extra males are Barred Rocks.) I lost 3 Jaerhons, 2 Spitzhaubens, and 2 Brabanters. The hatchery reshipped and I got the replacements today. Again they are so very tiny. They are as small as bantam chicks. Are Jaerhons normally this small as chicks?

I've only had Jaer chicks once but I don't recall them being noticeably smaller. I still have 2 hens and raised a few of their chicks crossed with penedesenca and they weren't smaller than the others either.

Thanks so much for sending the pictures of the chicks. The genetics experts here on BYC and on the Coop need more pictures of chicks and the adults they grow into in order to figure out the genetics of the Jaers. Pictures of parents and offspring are helpful too. Also some of us on this forum are trying to find out if there are any light Jaers left in this country and the best way to find them for sure would be to find chicks with the right markings. As we hatch this year we need to take pictures of the chicks from the side, the face needs to be in the shot, and from the top so all the important markings will show. Then post the pictures. These pictures will help us learn a lot about the genetics and types of Jaers in this country. I am wondering if we have all known types of Jaers in the US: the recognized Dark and Light, the Norwegian grey that is being worked on in Norway, and the Americn color: Flame. I am interested in recognition by the APA eventually. APA recognition is a lot of work. It will take a while to start a club and get even one color recognized. The club would be step one. Recognition of the Dark would be step two. Then the other colors. Even if we don't get recognized for years it would be helpful to have a website with the Norwegian Standard the terminology more American so we can understand it and pictures and information so the rest of the country could know what a great little chicken the Norwegian Jaerhon is.

Good luck with all your hatches. I am trying figure out how to convert my old Sportman from wafer to digital then I am going to fill it up and do some hatching myself.

Woot, congrats Roosterfry! That is an awesome rate of lay. May we populate teh world with Jaers!

Hello iahills! I am not real well-versed in genetics, but I can tell you the down color on the dark variety adults is gray. From pics of last summer's chicks, their down is gray-tan. I'll find a pic here...

cjwaldon, I did not think the Jaer chicks were smaller than other breeds at hatch. The eggs they come from are so big! The size difference becomes more apparent as they grow and are outpaced by the larger breeds.

You are welcome on the chick pic, aurissavannahs. These were the 2 males from my first hatch; one I kept, one I gave to another BYCer. I must say, he is growing up to be a fine looking young man, prettier than his daddy maybe! His colors are richer, although that could be just because his feathers are 'fresher'. I'll try to get a photo of him soon and then post side by side with his baby pic.

Thank you Amyable. That's kind of what I was thinking, close to normal size chicks. I also noticed that all of these chicks, the Jaerhons, Sptizhaubens and Brabantars all, are the most skiddish flighty crazy scared of everything that moves chicks I have EVER had, bar none. Even my leghorns weren't this bad. I sure hope the grow out of it.

Back
Top Bottom