Norweigen jaerhon's and De'uccles my Favorites thus far..

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
Hi,
Thought I'd post a few pictures of my favorite chickens so far, since I'm cooped up in the house with my G-Baby. Just showing him off, sorry couldn't resist.

Ok I got 5 NJH from an auction this fall, they seem to be slow growers but I know that they do not get very big but lay a nice size egg. My 5 girls are super sweet and eat out of my hand, I have them, along with a few other young pullets free ranging in the barn. They find it much faster to get to the treats if they fly instead of walk, which makes me think that they will be great at outsmarting any predators this spring. They are very calm birds and seem to stick together more than my other birds. I don't know how they will lay yet but according to my research they are great cold weather birds the bonus is that they eat so much less than my BO's or BR's. Also these girls go outside and peck around in the snow, my other girls will only go outside if the sun is shining "I don't blame them". We have just had 4 days of 40 and 50 below 0 (with wind chill) and all of my girls did just fine.

I love this pic, giving me the old chicken eye lol.

My other favorites are my pair of De'Uccles. My hen was laying this fall but De'Uccles must not be winter layers. Being that I just started my hobby farm in November of last year I have a lot to learn yet. The rooster "Hannible" is much sweeter than his mate "Clarice". They both eat out of my hand and come a running for treats. I have hopes of chicks this spring but only if she starts laying eggs again. I read that they are a breed that tends to go broody. I can't deny they are beautiful birds with their fancy feathered feet. My daughter says they look psyco-del-ic.?? IDK how to spell it. lol

Along with my older girls BO's, WR's, Banton Roo, Barred Rocks and Leg Horns, we also have potbellied pigs "Sundown and Midnight" and Rabbits, and 2 goats M&M and Harley as well as a bunch of cats, dogs, parakeets, and a Bearded Dragon. The chickens are the best!!!!

the first one is the cutest by far. lol what is the last pic of the roo that is in the middle of the pic? tan and white looks like a top hatter a bit? he is awesome

That is an aracauna (if I spelled it right). Sadly we had to cull her due to being aggressive and down right mean to my other girls. Yes picture number one is the best but the chickens are a close second. Lol

That's funny I just read the post you are following granny about guinea hens, I lost it and can't remember the name of the thread. Just like that aracauna hen really was a roo, don't know why I wrote hen, old age I guess lol

The post she thought were quail eggs, "Archie" didn't make it and she also hatched BO. Anyway it was an awesome thread and granny you played a major part in that. Lol

ahh, guinea egg in quail batch. funny she just got her new eggs today!! they are beautiful colors. turns out the eggs were chukar. hahahah

Back
Top Bottom