Not a coop or a run, but still construction. IDEAS needed !

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
OK, hubby has agreed (only because he wants to get the chickens and turkeys out of the house) to help me build a incubation and brooding shed.

It can't be too big, but must have room for incubators and maybe a stacked brooder. It will be insulated for heat/air so I can use it any time of the year. Now what I need are some recommendations, design ideas, requirements I might not have thought of, etc to get the whole thing planned out BEFORE I start building it.

Get those thinkers in gear and let me hear from you!

If you haven't already, you should spend a bunch of time on the coop pages of BYC - that should give you lots of great ideas... with pictures!

My only thought at the moment, because I'm tired and the grandparents just arrived and I have to go, is to make it bigger than you think you need and make sure you have enough room to walk around in when carrying anything.

Since it is for incubation, you need to be able to keep the temperature constant. Since you are in delta country, you probably don't have a hillside you could build it into to keep the temperature constant. Maybe in heavy shade? I'd consider good insulation a must. Maybe a partition between the brooder and the incubator with the incubator portion on the north side away from the sun. I think constant temperature will be your biggest problem.

Back
Top Bottom