Not a good a.m....my hen died and my

D'Angelo N Va.

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Hello, I went into to feed my chickens this a.m. before going to work and my speckled sussex hen was dead, fine yesterday and my peahen has her eyes swollen shut....what is going on..anyone know? I will greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

If you check your hen's body, does it feel pretty thin in the lower breast area? Can you open your peahen's eyes? Also, is her face swollen under/around her eyes? If you press on that soft area between her eyesand her beak, is there any sign of snot being pushed out her nostril, or the corner of her eye, or does she swallow (post-nasal drip)? Yucky, I know, but important. Also check in her upper mouth for signs of snot/excess mucus. And while you're at it, check to see how fat she is. I am so sorry about your hen. Don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things just show up so quickly, or the signs are so subtle that they are hard to catch.

I'm so sorry this happened
hugs.gif

I would also check for an odor when you press on sinus area. If it smells like rot, then it is Coryza, a bacterial respiratory infection. So if anything comes out, I know this is disgusting, but smell the face area and see if there is a strong stench. I just learned you can use lavendar oil, 5 drops in beak, and garlic to treat this with no withdraw period. I am really into natural cures as I sell eggs and prefer no withdraw period. If no odor, that is good news, because Coryza can be survivied but then they are always carriers. I am not an expert this is what I have read and learned so far.

HTH

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom