Not a good day

Dragonfly75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
A-town, TX
Today I checked on a hen I found just laying under the coop kind of cooing. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I jumped on this site and read some threads and decided I needed to check to see if she was egg bound. When I went to check, her rear end was covered in hard poop. I couldn't even get to her vent. I took her inside and washed her real good. She seemed to be handling the stress of it ok. While I was holding her over the sink she started trying to flap her wings. I quickly ran for the back door, but not before runny poop went all over the utility room floor. She jerked her head a couple of times and then was dead. Definitely not a good day.
sad.png

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
Today I checked on a hen I found just laying under the coop kind of cooing. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I jumped on this site and read some threads and decided I needed to check to see if she was egg bound. When I went to check, her rear end was covered in hard poop. I couldn't even get to her vent. I took her inside and washed her real good. She seemed to be handling the stress of it ok. While I was holding her over the sink she started trying to flap her wings. I quickly ran for the back door, but not before runny poop went all over the utility room floor. She jerked her head a couple of times and then was dead. Definitely not a good day.
sad.png
Yes. It sure sounds like you've had a bad day. May your tomorrow be filled with smiles. Birds do that to a person; one minute it's upset over a death, sickness, or something else, and then a hen comes out with cute little chicks...

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
I'm so sorry you lost your girl. That's always upsetting to lose one.
hugs.gif

I hope things go better for you with the rest of your flock.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
So sorry to hear of your loss. That is called "pasty butt." and prevents birds from having a poo. If it isn't tended to quickly they can die, especially the younger bird. You can put 'pasty butt' in the search box and a lot of information should come up.

Top Bottom