Not a good day

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dragonfly75, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Dragonfly75

Dragonfly75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    A-town, TX
    Today I checked on a hen I found just laying under the coop kind of cooing. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I jumped on this site and read some threads and decided I needed to check to see if she was egg bound. When I went to check, her rear end was covered in hard poop. I couldn't even get to her vent. I took her inside and washed her real good. She seemed to be handling the stress of it ok. While I was holding her over the sink she started trying to flap her wings. I quickly ran for the back door, but not before runny poop went all over the utility room floor. She jerked her head a couple of times and then was dead. Definitely not a good day. [​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Yes. It sure sounds like you've had a bad day. May your tomorrow be filled with smiles. Birds do that to a person; one minute it's upset over a death, sickness, or something else, and then a hen comes out with cute little chicks...

[​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm so sorry you lost your girl. That's always upsetting to lose one. [​IMG]

I hope things go better for you with the rest of your flock.

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Aw, sorry.[​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry to hear of your loss. That is called "pasty butt." and prevents birds from having a poo. If it isn't tended to quickly they can die, especially the younger bird. You can put 'pasty butt' in the search box and a lot of information should come up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by