Not a good day

Dragonfly75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
A-town, TX
Today I checked on a hen I found just laying under the coop kind of cooing. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I jumped on this site and read some threads and decided I needed to check to see if she was egg bound. When I went to check, her rear end was covered in hard poop. I couldn't even get to her vent. I took her inside and washed her real good. She seemed to be handling the stress of it ok. While I was holding her over the sink she started trying to flap her wings. I quickly ran for the back door, but not before runny poop went all over the utility room floor. She jerked her head a couple of times and then was dead. Definitely not a good day.
sad.png

Today I checked on a hen I found just laying under the coop kind of cooing. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I jumped on this site and read some threads and decided I needed to check to see if she was egg bound. When I went to check, her rear end was covered in hard poop. I couldn't even get to her vent. I took her inside and washed her real good. She seemed to be handling the stress of it ok. While I was holding her over the sink she started trying to flap her wings. I quickly ran for the back door, but not before runny poop went all over the utility room floor. She jerked her head a couple of times and then was dead. Definitely not a good day.
sad.png
Yes. It sure sounds like you've had a bad day. May your tomorrow be filled with smiles. Birds do that to a person; one minute it's upset over a death, sickness, or something else, and then a hen comes out with cute little chicks...

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. That's always upsetting to lose one.
hugs.gif

I hope things go better for you with the rest of your flock.

So sorry to hear of your loss. That is called "pasty butt." and prevents birds from having a poo. If it isn't tended to quickly they can die, especially the younger bird. You can put 'pasty butt' in the search box and a lot of information should come up.

Back
Top Bottom