Not allowed to eat them, so...

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
My hubby can't stand the carnage of me killing, cleaning and preparing our own chickens for dinner. He would rather we go buy a rotisserie one at the store already done. So, I am debating even keeping these guys. I ordered 12, 6 black and 6 red. Got 10 black and 2 red,(gold) but 2 were dead in the box then I lost a few more and we only actually ate one.
roll.png
(We did eat 2 turkeys earlier) So, now I don't know if I should keep this flock for breeding and selling chicks and young or sell them as they are now. They are 3 months old now.
What would you do?

I have one roo and 5 hens. (Please ignore the little Serama roo. He has no where else to live at the moment)
l_e136e4729aa58a007bb927a4beb7b2af.jpg

l_73d62a524221b89a75f5ca6e29db2b82.jpg

l_da2b550d265b790090a7fd5860799f35.jpg

l_48f23cfd8dec9f050ac17918e0e573d4.jpg

l_ca0664d8c205db9555e60ed736544f1d.jpg

I won't eat mine or their eggs...lol... I know I'm odd, but so be it. You can keep as pets, use for eggs, sell eggs and hatch and sell chicks??? Or just sell if you feel the need to. I enjoy ours as pets and my husband LOVES their eggs.

Hay Olympia! We are in Centralia!!
Well I did get these for eating. They are Broilers. But, maybe they will be pets instead. But I have about 45 other chickens too. I guess we can't have too many chickens, right?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
They look like Black Broilers from Ideal. Sell them for meat if you dont want to eat them. I actually kept two hens and they started to lay, then after a week they went broody and took over another hens nest.

Very good mothers. I will keep these two and cross them with a Standard Cornish roo and see what happens. We eat a lot of chicken and it comes from the place so i want to hatch our own on a regular basis.

The hens are fairly aggressive and even will thrash on a roo gettin gtoo close to the feed,so more docile hens may get beat up a bit.

Hope this helps.

Didn't hubby get that they were meat birds when you got them? Does he not want them eaten at all, or does he just not want to be there or see it? I wouldn't advise anybody to lie to their spouse, trust and honesty is too important. But if he just doesn't want to be invilved, maybe he could just arrange to not be home and let you take care of it.

If you read Ninja poodle's thread about her first butchering day, it could go a long way toward making it a fairly easy, calm task. There's still the dressing out, of course, but the actual killing doesn't have to be a big traumatic production. You could keep the hens for eggs, of course, and if you keep the roo, you could (as your flock grows, because your hens will want to hatch some of those eggs) sell extra pullets as layers and only eat the extra roos. Or sell them for meat.

Seems a shame to be stuck with store bought, (and store cooked!) chicken when you could so easily have the real thing. And then to sell your own good meat birds so somebody else can have the best meat!

We had a rotisserie-toaster oven, (we wore it out, need a new one) our home cooked birds were so much better than the store bought ones. I don't know what they use to season them, but they always have that distinctive "store-bought" taste, too much salt, not nearly as "chicken-y" I'm never quite satisfied with the store cooked birds.

Maybe your hubby can be gently persuaded to at least let you do the "dirty work" in his absence. Good luck, how ever it turns out.

I could use the room, that is for sure. I think I will sell. I would like to sell them all not just a few at a time, so if any of you want them, I will make you a good deal!
big_smile.png

That Serama is Sweety Pie. (My son named him) He is such a cutie. He now has 7 full siblings that his mommy just hatched out a week ago. So, my Serama flock is growing too.
wink.png

O yeah, all the butchering I have done, I have done alone. Hubby has been at work. So I really do not know what his deal is. I also told him I got BROILERS so he knows they are for EATING. He just got squeemish about it for some reason.
roll.png

If I had a rotisserie oven I would have eaten all these guys up a month ago!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom