Not allowed to have chickens in Davison Township?

mecampbell

Hatching
Jul 7, 2020
Hello everyone. I am a soon to be chicken owner and I just found out that Davison Township does not allow chickens on property less than 5 acres. We have 1.5 and we just finished building our chicken run. The City of Davison does allow them but we are in the township. We just moved into this house and it is evident that the previous owners had chickens. I've been doing a little bit of reading and I have heard that the Michigan Right to Farm Act allows you to have chickens if you sell eggs from time to time? Is this true? I need help finding information. What does everyone else do in my situation? Just hope that the neighbors don't tell on you? I want to have chickens :(

I usually tell people to proceed with caution and with the probability that if your neighbors report the violation you will get fined and even be forced to get rid of your chickens. If you are okay with that then take the chance.

I personally would just follow the rules and move away to somewhere where I could have chickens, but that's me and I understand not everyone has the means or desire to move elsewhere.

You can try talking to your neighbors to see if they'd be okay with you having chickens since it's usually neighbors the ones that report the complaints.

I don't know much about that Act except whatever anyone can find on Google.

Hello everyone. I am a soon to be chicken owner and I just found out that Davison Township does not allow chickens on property less than 5 acres. We have 1.5 and we just finished building our chicken run. The City of Davison does allow them but we are in the township. We just moved into this house and it is evident that the previous owners had chickens. I've been doing a little bit of reading and I have heard that the Michigan Right to Farm Act allows you to have chickens if you sell eggs from time to time? Is this true? I need help finding information. What does everyone else do in my situation? Just hope that the neighbors don't tell on you? I want to have chickens :(
Did you get your chickens. I am in Davison too and am planning on fighting this ordinance and proposing changes to it. I have chickens and goats now and it will be over my dead body that they take them. Would you like to join me in fighting this ordinance and getting a more common sense reasonable one in it place? Contact [email protected] if you want to help!

Did you get your chickens. I am in Davison too and am planning on fighting this ordinance and proposing changes to it. I have chickens and goats now and it will be over my dead body that they take them. Would you like to join me in fighting this ordinance and getting a more common sense reasonable one in it place? Contact [email protected] if you want to help!
@crookedbarnhomestead That was their one and only post.
Doesn't look like they've been back since making it.

Back
Top Bottom