NOT an ameraucana

samanthaoverton

🐔I speak fowl language 🐔
Jan 6, 2022
Thorn Hill, Tn
Hello everyone, so I purchased 3 chicks a month ago. They were supposed to be ameraucanas. I knew for a long time the black one wasnt. They are a month old. Anybody know what the black one is. Also tell me if the other two are ameraucana. I'm speculating the black one is either a black Orpington or jersey giant. Leaning toward Orpington because of the rounded almost rumples type feathers on the butt. The other two may or may not be ameraucanas..they have neither muffs nor beards. I really wanted blue egg layers 😭 ideas anyone? Ignore the white chickens.
IMG_20220519_140116_278.jpg

IMG_20220519_135814_172.jpg

IMG_20220519_140057_727.jpg

I got them at my co op. The main reason I thing the black one is a different breed is because it is a chunk! Like fat body, sturdy and it's feet are bigger..and they had jersey giants there too. I'm glad some of them may be Easter eggers😃 as long as I have blue or green eggs I'm good😃

The lightest colored one does not have a feather coloration that aligns with any pure variety of Ameraucana, so she's definitely not one.

There are several reasons why the black one might be larger or chunkier, such as that that one might be a cockerel. It's also possible that that one is a different mix than the others. Most of your classically mislabeled-as-Ameraucanas Easter-eggers are hatched from Easter-egger parents, but recently a lot of hatcheries have started breeding essentially 'designer breed' Easter-eggers by crossing in other breeds. The black one may just have different parentage than the others and is going to be a larger bird because of that.

You for sure have three birds with the potential to lay blue or green eggs, though!

This is awesome. I didn't know Easter eggers could vary in size too.😃
The lightest colored one does not have a feather coloration that aligns with any pure variety of Ameraucana, so she's definitely not one.

There are several reasons why the black one might be larger or chunkier, such as that that one might be a cockerel. It's also possible that that one is a different mix than the we others. Most of your classically mislabeled-as-Ameraucanas Easter-eggers are hatched from Easter-egger parents, but recently a lot of hatcheries have started breeding essentially 'designer breed' Easter-eggers by crossing in other breeds. The black one may just have different parentage than the others and is going to be a larger bird because of that.

You for sure have three birds with the potential to lay blue or green eggs, though!

So if you cross an Easter egger hen with a brown egg layer roo, would the chicks lay different colors? Or just brown. I'm new to Easter eggers.

Back
Top Bottom