Not an emergency but ALL 4 of my hens have Bumblefoot.

Chick named Lola

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
I noticed one had a swollen foot, I had a feeling when I saw it what it was but I've never dealt with or seen it before. I took her to my chicken vet when I looked at it and noticed it was also on the other foot and dripping pus. Since she is the one who is always picked on already he was concerned about re-introducing her after her treatment. So he found her a loving forever home with an experienced chicken owner who was willing and kind enough to take her on. I cannot be exposed to staph right now, my immune system is low due to radiation, if I get it, it won't be good.
Meanwhile he told me to check the other hens, they all had it. Not nearly as bad but both feet on all of them. He feels they will recover with antibiotics for 14 days.
I checked their roost and the rest of the coop/run for the cause. Nothing. The only thing we can come up with is it has been blazing hot and they burned thier feet on the deck and or pavement.
Anyone have this happen?

Code:
thanks free range, that was very informative. I certainly would not have the stomach to do that surgery. I'm glad I have an avian vet, I don't mind driving 30 minutes to see him at all. ;). My big concern is what caused it in all of them at once. I would like to avoid this if I can. I've had my hens for 4 years, and never had this issue.

Code:
thanks free range, that was very informative. I certainly would not have the stomach to do that surgery. I'm glad I have an avian vet, I don't mind driving 30 minutes to see him at all.
wink.png
. My big concern is what caused it in all of them at once. I would like to avoid this if I can. I've had my hens for 4 years, and never had this issue.
Use sandpaper to smooth roosts from burrs and splinters, also lower the roosts.

Use sandpaper to smooth roosts from burrs and splinters, also lower the roosts.

X2. I don't have instances of bumblefoot anymore. Years ago I found that keeping roosts 2' high at most and a thick layer of good quality pine shavings (without splinters) on the floor stopped it. Any thorny bramble in range areas should be removed too. Staples, pieces of glass, etc. can cause lots of problems as well. I use 2x4 on edge with rounded, sanded corners as roosts.

Back
Top Bottom