Not an Emergency, but if you have a minute I'd enjoy the knowledge...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 10, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone! One of my RIR Hens started laying sunday ([​IMG]) and I actually caught her in the act last night! (double [​IMG]) But it seemed kind of hard on her, she was panting pretty heavily and when she got done she gobbled down two peaches I tossed in for them by herself, then a TON of laying pellets and then drank a heck ton of water. And finally she kind of laid down on her side in the cool dirt in their run and just laid there and panted. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make her life easier? She is still a little young, only about 20 weeks, and it's been pretty beastly hot here in NEPA. I'm just worried about her as she seems a little lethargic today, and it's coming time for her to lay again (she's been starting between 430 and 5pm). Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much, hope ya'll are having a great day!

2. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Well, first off...CONGRATULATIONS!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

So, if you think about child birth, you can kind of figure that it is sort of the same for the chickens. It will become easier for them as they grow older, but they will exhibit panting, tiredness, thirst and hunger as well as other things. Totally normal. I'm not sure where you are located, but this summer has been brutal for everyone everywhere. The heat certainly doesn't help.

Just tell her she's a good girl and give her some tasty healthy treats!

Enjoy the eggs [​IMG]

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably like Dolly Parton said about her boobs and clothing. Trying to squeeze 10# flour into a 5# sack. Only this is in reverse.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Things will stretch, and it will get easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by