Not an emergency but need opinions

harryg6167

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Kentwood
I recently hatched out several dominique chicks. When they hatched I was in bed with problems
and did not get to look at all of the chicks when they hatched to see how they looked. Yesterday
I was able to go out to the brooder that they are in and was able to really start picking some of them up and checking them
out.
I noticed that I have 1 chick with just a slightly twisted beak. It's not real bad and just a very small gap at the point
of the beak where it twist slightly to the side. My question is, do you all think as it gets older it will maybe get bigger and cause
her problems. Right now the chick is really healthy looking and has no problem eating or drinking from how I saw it
both eating and drinking water yesterday. If i had seen it like this when it hatched I would have probably put it down
right then but now that it is a few weeks old, if I can see where it will not cause problems I am thinking of
going ahead and raising it.
What do you all think?

Most of the time, cross beak is genetic. It can get worse as she gets older, yes, especially if you already are noticing it. Some birds do well if the top beak is kept filed and they have a deep dish so they can scoop food, but many of them slowly starve.

Thanks for that info. I have never had this problem and right now it is a very small gap(?) more like a
little overhang. I will keep an eye on it but will not hesitate to put her down if it looks as if
it is causing her problems in any way. Couldn't stand to see one starved.

I wouldn't be so hasty to cull. I was given a hen awhile back that had a significant crossed beak, and she did very well. I would give her scrambled egg treats once in awhile, but I do that for all my chickens. I'd suggest giving it some time...see how it goes. Besides- it sounds to me more like she has an overbite than a crossed beak. It never hurts to give them a chance- you'll know if she starts to have problems, but my guess is that she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom