NOT an emergency :Disease? Gentic crappyness?

jenNZ

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
Okay basically i am going to just fill in the questions that were in the sticky link and maybe someone can help me out.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Unknown age, was given to me as being a 'pullet' but a little suspicious about her being older than originally thought. She seems to be a bit of a genetic freak.. always been very skinny layed for a short while, but has a very rooster like posture and narrow hips. She dosn't really look hen like if that makes sense.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

There are a couple of things.. She is the roosters favourite. and seems some what neurotic, more nervouse than my other hen fatty, I have two hens, with 1 rooster which may be part of the problem, she is loosing feathers on her back due to his amours attention, I have treated this with bag balm type product ( south african zambuck petroleum based with antiseptic properties )
She does not seem to bothered by this. so thats one thing.

she appears to be moulting and loosing feathers I have checked for lice and ticks and there are none in skin along the feather shaft in the feather its self I looked everywhere as ticks or lice seemed to be a logica explaination as there populations are booming here at the moment.

She has an inflamed vent and runnish droppings, not so runny that I would call it diarreah just runny and she seems to be straining to go sometimes.

she hasn't layed in ages, I presume its becuase of the stress that she is under from the rooster.
I have just finished giving her a chicken check up. her under side.. like if I put my hand between her vent and the space between her legs feels spongy, there are no hard lumps or anything for me to think that she is egg bound but what should that area feel like? from looking at an atomical diagram it looks like the small intestine area. She does how ever go and hang out in the layer box for an hour or two a day, no eggs, but the rooster sits there watching the door to make sure she stays in there, I literally ran my hands all over this chicken looking for weird things or things that made her flinch or seemed to cause pain but there wasn't anything.

ocassionally when walking she does an odd drop down waddle thing, its not all the time or becuase of something that happens. its almost like she is being submissive or creeping along,
but dosn't seem to be in pain.

there is no evidence of worms in droppings.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

she has always looked a bit too skinny and moulty, without ever having full feather coverage.
recently her back end looks more inflamed ( like the last 2-3 days )
and she stopped laying 3 months ago, I havnt been to concerned about that as she has never been a consistant layer and there was alot of stress and things in that time period. My other hen ( fatty ) has still got a group of chicks ( 5 weeks old ) so she is also not laying ( and not letting the rooster near her )

her eyes are bright and clear, her comb has changed colours a little in the last day or two.. from a light bright red to a more pink colour with a slight tinge of purple.
she is alert and has actually calmed down a bit with fatty having chicks.

Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

nope

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
only presents of scratching on her back but no open wounds.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
stress.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Eats and drinks totally normally, appart from being a bit nervous she is totally fine.
she is bright and perky she dosn't act like a sick bird. They have access to a whole garden of bugs and greens and I supplement them with a porridge grit milk mix and they also get layer pellets and kitchen green scraps. She drinks rain water that comes from a rain collection barrel. ( its dosn't have heaps of larvae or anything in it we drink it too )

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

poop is a bit runny but not really diarreah she does seem to strain a bit and the poop its self may be a bit more yellowish than normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have treated her skin with zambuck and I am working on a chicken saddle for her so that she wont get so hurt by the rooster.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

My question is actually do I do anything? She seems be fine other than loooking like a mess, her symtoms dont seem to fit a contagiouse deseawse and the rest of my flock are totally fine.
I am not to worried about her laying it would be great but I would prefer her to be healthy first, But she just seems a bit genetically messed up. She didn't come from a "breeder" but a farmer who raises his own chickens of indetermined breed ( think township special ) . I just want to check that I am not missing something and causing her to suffer unnessacarly.

Should I cull her? There is no way i want to breed from her and if she is in pain or suffering I am not cool with that continuing.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

here are some photos that may help, sorry they are a bit blurry, the ones of her skin already have the zambuck on, so its not that shinny it makes it look more taught than it is, its not swollen or anything just red and a bit scratched up but there arn't many numbs of nbew feathers coming through. Oh it won;t let me post a link because i am a new member.
but if copy this and take out the word dot and replace it with a "." it should work. plus.googledotcom/photos/114921870384475536491/albums/5685554269209331441?authkey=CIOBieyr64vJAw

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Lucern in a wooden hen house with, plastic layer box also with lucern in it, the hen house is made of reclaimed untreated wood. I have checked for tick and lice and there is not a huge amount. small wood louse but not ticks or lice.

Oh wow not it looks quite random but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya!

Welcome to BYC!

Your Skinny appears to be a Mille Fleur Leghorn, and she strikes me as having worms. Often you won't find evidence in the poop, but in the symptomatic behavior and appearance. They all should be treated, ultimately, but you may choose to just treat her.

If she were mine, I'd buy her a pretty apron to protect her back ($4) and I'd use .5mL of Ivermectin (Iver-On, Ivomec, and other generic names: pour-on cattle wormer) in her mouth. I would want to buy at least one syringe, no needle necessary.

PLEASE be sure to squirt any meds to YOUR left if she's facing you. Feel for her crop to be certain you're squirting it down the correct side, not down her lungs.

The very next day, I expect you'll find worms in her droppings, so treat her at night and keep her separated that night until you see it- that will keep the others from...consuming it. Looks like angelhair pasta. If you treat all of them, it's not necessary to separate, as if someone gets gross, it can't reinfect them.

She can rejoin them thereafter, and you should see a difference in her over the next week. Feed them all some canned tuna in oil to boost protein. Sprinkle cayenne over their feed for a week to help with internal parasites and feed live culture yogurt to repopulate.

Good luck!

Hello - Thanks ChooksChick!

I sewed her a saddle today, and going to worm her and the whole gang tommorow!
thanks again and I will update her with how the worming goes!

cheers

Back
Top Bottom