Not an emergency... I'm pretty sure

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
My daughter noticed that her pair of d'Anvers have been making a strange neck motion. After watching them, I noticed a young cream legbar doing the same thing. I was able to get a video of it.
Could this be early wry neck? It doesn't seem likely that the birds would come down with it all at once. Had anyone seen this before that can help me figure out what it is? Neurological, nutrition deficiency, disease?
They have all been on nutrena all flock with 20% protein but the store was out of it the last two weeks, so we were using Dumore layer feed (there really wasn't much choice). We are now back on the nutrena as of Wednesday. They have poultry cell (vitamins) in their water, hoping it will help them keep up their immunity. Nights have been cool (50s) and we haven't had much rain lately. Both the cockrel and the d'Anvers pullet are doing it, in addition to the CCL.

How’s that pile of droppings look? It was rather runny from video.
Ugh! I forgot to investigate it. I noticed she pooped while taking the video and made a mental note to check it when I got up. Then I forgot. It's still on the carport, so I can check it in the morning. I know it will be dry by then though. From where I was sitting, it appeared to be a very liquid-y, milky part with two shades of brown solids. Not quite as solid as regular poop, but firmer than cecal.

Last edited:
Are their crops functioning normally? Do they do this whenever their crops are empty or have just a little bit of feed in them?
It was noticed for the first time today. Marigold, the d'Anvers pullet is pretty thin. Her beak doesn't close all the way so we were making sure to give her a tray of deep food as she had trouble getting individual pieces on the ground, down her throat. Maroon, her mate had not eaten much when my daughter noticed him doing it. The CCL had eaten but not excessively.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous

You always have the most beautiful birds @tn_artist ! The CCL in the video is gorgeous! I hope the three birds are ok. I tagged some exceptionally knowledgeable folks that are always so helpful
Thank you.
Do they get treats? Do they have access to grit?
They free range most of the day, although that has changed the last two days with going back to school face to face. Free range has been cut down to 2-3 hours in the evening.
We haven't given any treats lately other than my neighbor gave them Apple slices and they have pecked the carved pumpkins on the front porch. Mealworms maybe two weeks ago. They were wormed about three months ago.

Back
Top Bottom