Not an emergency...just looking for answers

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
I posted about my SLW Filomena dying suddenly on Saturday. I wasn't home when it happened & I can't stop thinking about her. I'm just so curious as to what could cause a perfectly healthy 1.5 year old pet hen to die?
I know alot of you have years of experience with chickens & I thought someone might be able to explain possible causes.
I also wanted to say my yard is filled with toads & I've seen my chickens eat them. I have no idea if she ate one that day or if that could be related in anyway.
Saturday morning when I left for work she was eating, pooping, looking & acting (she even flogged my broody, just like she would normally do) normal. Her feathers were perfect & her eyes & comb were bright. Her body was not injured in anyway & her little face looked peaceful as she lay there dead.

Any insight would be great, thanks:)

Last edited:
Heat?
You mentioned toads, lordy I have had plenty of those this year. I could easily count 120 of them, though this week they have gotten to only a few...finally! Little baby ones.
Anyway, could she have choked to death on one trying to eat it? My friend once had a large fowl hen that tried to eat a mouse and was choking on it. Had she not been outside in the pen at the time, the hen would not still be here, she flopped around and my friend grabbed her and saw a long thing sticking out of her mouth and pullet out a mouse. After that, the hen was fine.

Back
Top Bottom