Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Before I realized that I had Marek's in my flock, I would have a chicken die every few months from not eating. I could not figure out why. I believe I lost 10% of my flock over a period of 18 months. I only had a group go when they were 6 week old chicks and I lost 1 every week to paralysis until all 10 were gone. But usually I get one hopefully not more than every 6 months. Until recently.

I see your losses are in a good age range for Marek's/paralysis. It's hard to guess at it because it can mimic so many diseases.

Last edited:
Nambroth, I didn't get pics of the first hen with grey eyes, but here is a pic of my second hen with funny eyes. You can see she is still molting, has little pinfeathers around her neck and head.

I know it isn't a great pic, but....I took a zillion and she just wouldn't hold still. The paneling in the back is the coop - it is an old construction site trailer and this was the "office' part.
The left eye looks like a few of mine.

-Kathy

Before I realized that I had Marek's in my flock, I would have a chicken die every few months from not eating. I could not figure out why. I believe I lost 10% of my flock over a period of 18 months. I only had a group go when they were 6 week old chicks and I lost 1 every week to paralysis until all 10 were gone. But usually I get one hopefully not more than every 6 months. Until recently.

I see your losses are in a good age range for Marek's/paralysis. It's hard to guess at it because it can mimic so many diseases.
OK, that's interesting. I've never seen sickly birds; the two that had paralysis in their legs were still eager, eating and showed no other signs of any illness. One every six months is about what I see, but the symptoms have never been the same twice. As you say though, the age range is appropriate for Marek's. There's nothing I can do but keep watching and hope it stays low-level like this, if indeed it's Marek's. Thanks for your feedback!

I've got a hen that I have been feeding for a couple months. She has started standing and trying to step. Recently she started preening again and tries really hard to sleep with her head tucked under a wing and standing. She rocks a bit but seems to be getting better at it. She will eat and drink only if I put it in her beak.

I've got a hen that I have been feeding for a couple months. She has started standing and trying to step. Recently she started preening again and tries really hard to sleep with her head tucked under a wing and standing. She rocks a bit but seems to be getting better at it. She will eat and drink only if I put it in her beak.

Is she capable of eating on her own? I hope she continues to improve.

Shows no interest at all in any food presented to her but when I put it in her beak she will work it around and swallow it. Unless she doesn't like it then she spits it out.

Some anatomy, tube and syringe pictures:

Aquarium air line can be used, but will need to be modified to make it safe (not sharp).

Remember that a bird must have it's hydration corrected before tubing food, so that means tubing warmed fluids first.

-Kathy

Quote:
My paralyzed one with the funny eyes still has a voracious appetite and has actually started to stand.

-Kathy
Ok, good to know that not all of them will lose interest in food.

With paralysis they do act so normal and have no clue. My first roo, paralyzed , no control of his neck-would crow in the morning!!!!!
Was this roo paralyzed in the legs too, or just the neck?

Back
Top Bottom