Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Quote: Cancel the Order
Karen Fletcher

Backyardchickens.com

Are they crazy????? They can live without my business if they think they can make up a reason to add $35.00 to my order for vaccine and cooler.

was this a vaccine for the new chicks or are you giving a new one that's come out that can be used on older birds?? I know they said was working on a new vaccine but I don't know how old that info is.
I vaccinated day one, but I was going to go ahead and revaccinate at 3 weeks because I am terrified that what if one chick didn't get enough vaccine, like some going into their fuzz. Just panic!

the only thing I can think of is that shipping costs increase dramatically in warmer months when shipping items that have to be cooled . Chocolate, for example - it is both a better cooler, more packaging, and an more expensive shipper that gets it there more directly versus a less expensive shipper where it goes to a hub and gets sorted, sits, etc. And usually they use the calendar - shipping after a certain date = warm weather costs. Maybe the vaccine is the same thing. Or maybe it is a ripoff

will be interesting to see what response you get if any.
Well, with the vaccine in February, my cooler included an ice pack, and I paid for another ice pack. And it arrived cold. So, I don't the the US is too warm now.

well, I've made it through two whole months and a week without anyone getting sick or dying. One of the bo's seems a bit underweight, but she still isn't a year old yet.

this will sound funny, but here in Minnesota the snow is gone and there has been a teeny bit of green grass - so the flocks's droppings are back to summer normal - big, green, capped with the white. After the winter and after all the looser stools tinged with blood/intestinal droppings, it makes me unreasonably happy to see such normal poop!

I'm thinking of trying to get some turkey litter to add to the run - its time to replenish it - hanging on to that tale that the turkey exposure helps with the flock's immunity. I don't logically understand how that works, but have had enough people who have had mareks in their flocks who have then added turkeys and had no further problems. worth a shot!

here's hoping everyone has healthy flocks.

Seminole, how are the chicks doing?

I'm pleased to update with some positive news too.

My welsummer has picked up without treatment. I really thought she was a gonner, as she had stopped eating for 3 days and looked very unhappy. I'm now wondering if it wasn't Marek's related and she just had some sort of slow crop or blockage. Anyway, she is happily foraging with the flock again and even laid an egg yesterday.

My two definite Marek's girls are still holding their own. Hoppity who has been the same for 6 months is very light weight but I suppose, since she is carrying all her weight on one leg, that at least helps her mobility and she is very bright eyed. The other one whose paralysis is worst, has actually stood up this afternoon and walked rather than crawl. That's the first time I have seen both her hocks up off the ground and her standing upright for at least 4 weeks. I do think that having made them an enclosure which is allowing them to enjoy the fine weather and sunshine, is benefitting their wellbeing. enormously.
I had thought only one of them was laying, but I got an egg from each of them the day before yesterday in the outdoor cage, so I have had to give them a little nest area now and I got another egg this morning, so that's 6 this week. I let Hoppity make her own way out to the cage on a morning and she even stopped and squatted for the cockerel on the way out! Previously she would have fled screaming, so I take all this as positive signs.

None of the other young pullets are showing signs and they are about 9-10 months now, so discounting the Welsummer, who never really ticked the boxes for Marek's anyway, I've not had a new case since October.

I'm going to confess now that I have allowed my broody to hatch some eggs within the flock from pullets that have been exposed and not shown signs. Three hatched, 2 Maran's and a CCLxRIR but I'm not sure which cockerel will have sired these chicks. Anyway, they will not be vaccinated as there was no way I could isolate them from exposure or justify the expense of buying the vaccine for so few, They are being raised by the broody in a rabbit hutch within the hen house at the moment, so will have maximum exposure to the virus from the beginning. I appreciate that you may think I am being irresponsible but since they are going to be exposed to it anyway, then in my view, the sooner their system is challenged by it, the sooner it either learns to deal with it or succumbs. I also hav peace of mind that the hen house is more secure from predators than any other option, being a stone building. If all the chicks suffer from it then I will not try to raise chicks like this again, but I need to get an understanding of how this works on a practical level within my flock. The chicks will be a week old tomorrow. It is done now, so please wish me luck.

I reordered with randall turkey. 42 bucks, will let you know what happens.

The vaccine arrived very warm. I emailed them and asked them what I should do. They said they can mail me more on more ice, or I can have a refund. I took the offer of vaccine. I thought that was an honorable thing they did.

rebrascora, I'm wishing you much luck!

I am anxious to see how it goes with your chicks and the broody. I'm an not certain that I didn't have mareks in the flock last spring when I had a broody hatch chicks, and I lose any (if I am remembering correctly). In Oct I had a mareks diagnosis in the flock...

It helps me to hear from everyone what they are trying and how it is working. Now, Seminolewind is vacinating (or at least trying to!) and you aren't - and of course there is no idea which strain either of you have in your flocks, but it is all information.

So I have considered trying a broody again too. Keep us posted!

Lalaland and Rebrascora - I so am happy to hear your hens are getting better instead of worse. Hopefully their little immune systems will be working in your favor!

I had two sick pullets that seem to be improving. Both are from my November hatch. One had an impacted crop that may or may not have been Marek's related. I tubed/massaged her for a week and was just about to give up. Then one morning I got up and her crop was empty. She's managed to gain a bit of weight back and seems to be on the mend. The second pullet was lethargic and had the puffy Marek's stance. I treated her with Tylan for 5 days in addition to Wazine. She seems to be over the hump now and is foraging and eating with the other birds.

The pullet that had the blocked crop now wants to be the "nurse" chicken to all the sick ones. She sits with them in the hospital pen so they don't have to be alone. I'm not worried about isolating anyone since they all have been exposed to the same crap already. It is what it is. Unfortunately I still have sick birds. :( More to follow...

I was hoping I could make it through a whole week without losing a bird, but I wasn't so lucky. Yesterday I had to put down our Faverolles pullet. She was the last one left from our July hatch. All of my pullets have died, and one of the pullets I gave to my neighbor is acting sick now too. The first of mine had classic Marek's paralysis and was sent to the lab. She was sick since she was about 10 weeks old. The other pullets had respiratory problems which included open-mouth breathing. One of them was coughing while eating, and the one I just culled had a purple comb and no longer wanted to eat or stand up. None of them have had sneezing or runny eyes, so I'm not suspecting a respiratory bug. I think they have tumors in their chest someplace that are interfering with breathing.

RIP Miss T., Butterscotch and Hawkeye

I still have two sick pullets. One from the November hatch is lethargic and not eating. I'm treating her with Tylan and oxytetracycline. Three of her sisters and one brother have already died. One of the pullets from my broody-raised December hatch is coughing a lot. Again, no nasal discharge. She is eating fine and running around, but definitely having respiratory distress. Poor thing. I'm treating her with Tylan and Oxy and she's in the house at night to stay warm. I hope she can pull through, but since she is the last of my unvaccinated chicks the odds are against her. Her sister seems fine so far.

ochochias, I am so sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif

You really are in the trenches - the strain you have must be more virulent.
keeping my fingers crossed for your pullets.

Back
Top Bottom