Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

This is what I've been trying to tell you....ain't gonna happen. Not now. You have Marek's. Not just the birds...you, your house, your land. You cannot un do Marek's unless you take the actions already told to you. Would you really want to sell something that is going to kill someone elses birds? Can you do that with a clear conscience? You really have to understand...you have nothing saleable. You want to sell birds...cull and start cleaning. Order the oxine and you should have the building ready by June. The ground is going to take longer if you can't work it now. Your own house will have to be steamed...floors, anywhere eggs have been, barn clothes washed repeatedly and boots bleached at least, changed out completely even better after all of the cleaning is done.

I am sorry I sound harsh, but this is reality. If you continue as you want, you become part of the problem and you will kill someone elses beloved birds. Please think about this, very carefully.
Someone wrote, "if you have Marek's, burn the barn".

I'm thinking CDC type of bio-security, lol. I know it's not funny, but I just don't think the average person could do it.

I agree. I only know so much about it because I had a Marek's scare and realized I would have to completely shut down my plans. Luckily it turned out not to be Marek's, but there it nothing more devastating than finding out you have it, your birds are dying, AND your plans are ruined. I feel for those going through it and just wish everyone were as careful as they should be to prevent others from going through that nightmare.
You guys got in before I did, lol. I live it too Casportpony and it's an expensive and nasty business. Overoberyl, I hear you as well. All of the special, heritage and regular birds I got are mostly gone now. This whole situation scares me. This is why Marek's is staying one step ahead of the researchers and a 'cure'. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear of someone losing their flock due to unscrupulous business practises of some breeders. No Salt and Pepper...I am not talking about you here. You have been warned of the risks and what you need to do to stop them. You seem like a smart and caring person and I know you will do the right thing.

You guys got in before I did, lol. I live it too Casportpony and it's an expensive and nasty business. Overoberyl, I hear you as well. All of the special, heritage and regular birds I got are mostly gone now. This whole situation scares me. This is why Marek's is staying one step ahead of the researchers and a 'cure'. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear of someone losing their flock due to unscrupulous business practises of some breeders. No Salt and Pepper...I am not talking about you here. You have been warned of the risks and what you need to do to stop them. You seem like a smart and caring person and I know you will do the right thing.
Your timing is perfect... I was just outside and noticed another one. Young game cross, nothing fancy, but looking just a little off. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what happens with this one. Got another that I have to bury, she just died.

Your timing is perfect... I was just outside and noticed another one. Young game cross, nothing fancy, but looking just a little off. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what happens with this one. Got another that I have to bury, she just died.

I can't remember if this has been discussed, so I apologize, but are Marek's birds inedible? Are you at least able to process for the table if you choose?

I have Marek's *and* Blackhead!
he.gif
I would love to raise some meat turkeys to sell, but can't since the only drug that treats it is banned for use in food animals.
No, all you could sell are hatching eggs to someone with no chickens. So far [knock on wood] I haven't had problems with Blackhead. I have a couple of bottles of the fish zole sitting right in front of me as I type, but haven't needd them yet. Turkeys can't get chicken Marek's as long as they are healthy but they can certainly get some of the nasty secondary diseases that come about because of it. Have you tried cayenne pepper sprinkled on their feed? I did when I was having issues with the chickens and cocci. Never had a problem with the turkeys. Thought I did but it turned out it was nothing. At least i can say I dodged that bullet, lol.

I have way too many chickens and I used to sell them to the public, but I cannot do that anymore. Like all of the other people, I could just take them to the feed store for $5 store credit, but I don't want to perpetuate the problem.

No, all you could sell are hatching eggs to someone with no chickens. So far [knock on wood] I haven't had problems with Blackhead. I have a couple of bottles of the fish zole sitting right in front of me as I type, but haven't needd them yet. Turkeys can't get chicken Marek's as long as they are healthy but they can certainly get some of the nasty secondary diseases that come about because of it. Have you tried cayenne pepper sprinkled on their feed? I did when I was having issues with the chickens and cocci. Never had a problem with the turkeys. Thought I did but it turned out it was nothing. At least i can say I dodged that bullet, lol.
I could have sworn that I read about turkeys in France with Marek's... IMHO, it's just a matter of time before it's a problem in all other species.

Oh I am so sorry. It's a sad thing, but I won't even bury the chickens here at all. Too much clay, water and worms. I just wouldn't dare. I hope that one day we can find our way to the 'other side' of these problems and we find it was all worth it in the end. Like you, I feel like most days I am just beating my head against a wall.

Back
Top Bottom