Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Let me ask a question here. You want to breed your own birds? For yourself I hope. You shouldn't ever sell or give away any birds that had Marek's. Your flock may become immune or I should say better able to fight off the particular strain or strains they've been exposed to, but that doesn't mean they are safe for someone else.

Last season I purchased over 100 chicks. I lost 85 of them last summer and still counting. Quite a few of the breeds purchased were all wiped out in a matter of weeks. Some have lingered but unfortunately don't have any long term survival chances. I really think you need to think very hard on what your expectations are for the long run.

I will be breeding them for myself, and hatching eggs... I am pretty sure the eggs don't carry the virus. And I know it is risky to get non vaccinated birds, but this man's birds are very strong.SO I will try, and get the strongest chicks possible, and hope for the best.

I will be breeding them for myself, and hatching eggs... I am pretty sure the eggs don't carry the virus. And I know it is risky to get non vaccinated birds, but this man's birds are very strong.SO I will try, and get the strongest chicks possible, and hope for the best.
I'm glad to hear this! You're right, the Marek's isn't transferred through the eggs but there are many that are like MG for one. Seriously here, you really need to educate yourself before you set your sights on breeding and/or purchasing from someone you know has a problem with his flock. I let my dreams get in the way of common sense last year and now I pay the price daily. Please don't make the same mistakes I did. Research any purchase BEFORE you make it. Don't take a salesperson's word for anything. I know I sound like a broken record but immunize your birds or purchase them from a hatchery that does. What you think you are saving now is going to come back and haunt you later. Big time.

I'm glad to hear this! You're right, the Marek's isn't transferred through the eggs but there are many that are like MG for one. Seriously here, you really need to educate yourself before you set your sights on breeding and/or purchasing from someone you know has a problem with his flock. I let my dreams get in the way of common sense last year and now I pay the price daily. Please don't make the same mistakes I did. Research any purchase BEFORE you make it. Don't take a salesperson's word for anything. I know I sound like a broken record but immunize your birds or purchase them from a hatchery that does. What you think you are saving now is going to come back and haunt you later. Big time.
X2.

The other thing to consider if you are thinking of selling hatching eggs is that while the virus wouldn't be transmitted IN the egg, it very well could be on the outside of the egg, or on the packing material, so even though eggs could be considered safe, you could inadvertently transmit the disease via other surfaces...

The other thing to consider if you are thinking of selling hatching eggs is that while the virus wouldn't be transmitted IN the egg, it very well could be on the outside of the egg, or on the packing material, so even though eggs could be considered safe, you could inadvertently transmit the disease via other surfaces...
I hadn't thought of that, good point!

what about day old chicks, who have had NO contact with the other birds? Thank you for you warnings, and concern. I'm trying my best! I have some fairly rare breeds in my flock, and would like to make money on something I enjoy so much.

what about day old chicks, who have had NO contact with the other birds? Thank you for you warnings, and concern. I'm trying my best! I have some fairly rare breeds in my flock, and would like to make money on something I enjoy so much.

Even day old chicks, even if they have not come in contact with your other birds, have come in contact with you...you have been exposed to the dander of your other birds, which could be carrying the virus. In general, if you have had Marek's at your place, it is not ethical to sell anything to anyone or you risk sending them the disease. Sorry
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom