Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

thanks...i am beating this to death of course. What you said is exactly what I'm thinking about...everyday....always. I guess I have to pick a path and go with it. Hoping for the best.
If you go back to the beginning of when I started this thread, you will see the things that Cowcreekgeek said to me. He's right. Basically, why change horses midstream. Marek's is here for you and me, I think right now it's what we make of it. Ultimately, I think that's all that really counts. Birds don't care, they're just as happy as if they were 'normal', more interaction with me, and special treats for their health.

As for beating it to death? Oh yeah, I do too. Everytime I look at these guys I'm wondering...Am I being fair? Would it be better for them if I just called it quits and said goodbye? Then I watch them for a minute and I know that I can't steal whatever time they are allowed. If they were showing any signs of pain, it would be different. They aren't, so for me, culling is not an option.

Another thing I have going for me here is I have no close neighbors. My son is 1/4 mile away and his chicks, coming with mine, will be vaccinated and in a new coop after the 6-8 week wait. No casual contact, no chance of spread. If I had anyone close, I would cull just to make sure it wasn't passed around.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, only what we each can deal with. I'd never throw rocks at someone who chose the culling route.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your information and life experiences with this dreaded disease. I have had chickens for years, and it is quite humbling to realize how little I know about it. I hope with all of my heartthat I avoid it, and plan to stay super vigilant in protecting my flock, but now know that this disease can show up without warnng! So scary! I did have a question, hopefully not a stupid one! I have 14 chickens right now who have never been vaccinayed, and have never showed signs of mareks (KNOCK ON WOOD!) They vary in age from 1-3 years old. Do people ever vaccinate older hens? Also, I have six new chicks due to come from McMurrauys in May and these girls will be vaccinated for mareks. Is it true that some vaccinated chicks can het the disease from the shot?? I would hate to get the shot and infect my whole flock from that! See what I mean, so much I dont know! I appreciate any opinions! Thanks!

I just wanted to thank all of you for your information and life experiences with this dreaded disease. I have had chickens for years, and it is quite humbling to realize how little I know about it. I hope with all of my heartthat I avoid it, and plan to stay super vigilant in protecting my flock, but now know that this disease can show up without warnng! So scary! I did have a question, hopefully not a stupid one! I have 14 chickens right now who have never been vaccinayed, and have never showed signs of mareks (KNOCK ON WOOD!) They vary in age from 1-3 years old. Do people ever vaccinate older hens? Also, I have six new chicks due to come from McMurrauys in May and these girls will be vaccinated for mareks. Is it true that some vaccinated chicks can het the disease from the shot?? I would hate to get the shot and infect my whole flock from that! See what I mean, so much I dont know! I appreciate any opinions! Thanks!
You can vacinate if you choose but in birds that age it isn't going to do much good. As for the chicks, keep them away from the other birds for 6-8 weeks at least! McMurray uses all three vaccination on their chicks. The first one, MD-Vac isn't a worry, the others....just keep them separate for the 8 weeks and you'll be fine.

Most probably, your existinting flock has already been exposed to Marek's in one form or another. At least that's what most of the experts believe. Still you need to keep your new chicks away for the time it takes for the vaccine to work itself out and build the immunities. pain in the butt, but very important. Even though I already have it here I still have to go through the quarantine just like you. Marek's comes in different 'flavors' and mutations. Please be wise, even if the chicks do keep you awake all night.

Thanks for asking Haunted. She is fine and feisty. I am watching and waiting. She walks, cheeps, eats and drinks; so she seems otherwise normal. She still has the scabby growth on her neck but it hasn't gotten any larger.

She is by herself so it isn't pecking and I watched the scabs grow so that is why I thought it was pox or at least hoped. The scab on her head fell off and there is still swelling. The one on her neck is large but we will see what happens. She is quarantine and has not been aroud the others plus she is a chick. Thank you everyone.

Thanks for asking Haunted. She is fine and feisty. I am watching and waiting. She walks, cheeps, eats and drinks; so she seems otherwise normal. She still has the scabby growth on her neck but it hasn't gotten any larger.
Since you first posted I have been going round and round trying to find something even close to this. It keeps coming back to either a sinus infection and maybe even mites as well. I've even done a bunch of reading on staph infections as they can appear so many different ways. Weird and if and when one of us figures it out it'll be a head slapper I'm sure, lol. Can you do more pics? I know it's hard to get them sometimes but it would be helpful. Saying you have watched the scabs grow...that's the part that throws me off. Unless this bird was being pecked before you got her and the places had some deep damage done. I have a duck that was being grabbed by other drakes and even a couple of the geese got into the act. When I first noticed it, he had a couple of raw spots on his neck and head. Blu-Koted him and left him with the others over night. Next day the places that had been red and sore had turned black and raised. Took him into the house and put him into the tub, and then checked him closely. The others pinching him had really done a number on him! The initial redness was nothing....it took 2 weeks for this to finish scabbing and finally fall off. I'm just wondering if it could be something like this going on with yours.

I don't like to say it isnt Marek's. It could be, but....if it is this virulent, that it is showing up this early, there would already have been paralysis and or death. Marek's can show up as early as 3 weeks, but if it does it is a death sentence 90% of the time. That is what is keeping me from anything to do with the M word. The eyes are a little suspect and that is why I asked if you could maybe take another couple of pictures. It may have just been that picture that made the eyes look so protuberant. Please...I am not saying your bird has Marek's.

I just learned something by going through some of my information about Cocci for another thread. It seems that chicks that may be too young to show the 'normal' start of symptoms of Marek's, can show extreme cases of coccidiosis that usually will not respond to medicated feed or dosing with Corid. The sulpher drugs are better, but still somehow the Marek's blocks the effectivness of the drugs. Explains a lot of what I went through last summer. Oh gee! Just what we needed right?

Back
Top Bottom