Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Okay...another quick hijacking of the thread and then back to business, lol.

For some reason they are out of sequence, doesn't matter, you get the idea. The second picture is Spotty the drunken Lord himself and there rest are of Momma and babies. I may have created a monster though...Spotty is out there looking for more beer!

Okay...another quick hijacking of the thread and then back to business, lol. For some reason they are out of sequence, doesn't matter, you get the idea. The second picture is Spotty the drunken Lord himself and there rest are of Momma and babies. I may have created a monster though...Spotty is out there looking for more beer!
Awww, love them!!!! Oh, meant to ask you. What food did you find that is 22% protein. Would like to try it

Sorry, i posted without finishing lol. I have a small mixed age flock that it pecking each other, and I cant think of anything else to do. Out of the ten, there are three that get it pretty badly from the others.

Super cute babies !! Big congrats to yourself momma and daddy !!
To the Irishacrefarm poster I haven't looked through all these pages, so forgive me if it's already been suggested, but have you had a look at pinless peepers ? I haven't tried them myself but I did consider it at a time when I had a real problem with bullying. Thankfully my issue resolved but they might be worth a look as a last resort option. I did do a little research and I,m sure anything that's in a birds nasal passage is never gonna be good and I couldn't see any different sizes which is also a worry but if your flock are hurting each other...

The links here - good luck xx

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/480929/pinless-peepers-work

Last edited:
To the Irishacrefarm poster I haven't looked through all these pages, so forgive me if it's already been suggested, but have you had a look at pinless peepers ? I haven't tried them myself but I did consider it at a time when I had a real problem with bullying. Thankfully my issue resolved but they might be worth a look as a last resort option. I did do a little research and I,m sure anything that's in a birds nasal passage is never gonna be good and I couldn't see any different sizes which is also a worry but if your flock are hurting each other...

Interesting, worth looking into! Thank you!

Awww, love them!!!! Oh, meant to ask you. What food did you find that is 22% protein. Would like to try it
I am using a Blue Seal, Multi Flock. If you can get it, it's decent stuff. If not, you'll have to check for a game bird feed which should have at least that much. Flock Raiser by Purina only has 18% if I remember correctly.

I am using a Blue Seal, Multi Flock.  If you can get it, it's decent stuff.  If not, you'll have to check for a game bird feed which should have at least that much.  Flock Raiser by Purina only has 18% if I remember correctly.

Great, thank you!!!

Sorry, i posted without finishing lol. I have a small mixed age flock that it pecking each other, and I cant think of anything else to do. Out of the ten, there are three that get it pretty badly from the others.
Here's something that has worked for me before....sardines with no salt added. For me this has worked really well. Now...not so much. Brats!!! LOL! When they took the animal protien out of the bird feed, they denied them of an 'normal' source of protien. Chickens, ducks, turkeys...they will eat meat in the form fo mice, frogs, etc.. Look on the tag on your grain bag.....none of that listed is there, lol. Meal worms help, as does the addition of sardines, fresh fish, like haddock, cod, whatever. It gives them another source that is lacking in their feed.

Have you noticed yet that our birds are eating better than we are?

An old time method is to cut or burn the ends of their beaks. It sounds awful, but in the long run, it may just be the only hope. I haven't done it yet myself, but from everything I have read, the ends of their beaks are like ou fingernails. We cut them, we file them, no pain until we get down to the quick. Same with a chicken's beak. As awful as this sounds, it may end up being the only answer for me and others. hatchery birds especially are notorious for this. Out of all of my incubated birds, I have never, ever seen this problem. I think the hatchery birds are under nourished and this is how it shows up in the young. Just my observation, but has proved out time and again.

Back
Top Bottom