Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I am so very sorry.  What were the symptoms leading up to this?  Just the couple of days of not eating and drinking?

The first symptom I noticed was paralysis, she couldn't move much besides her head, she was eating and drinking on the first day, but lost interest on the second day and died that night, it was very quick

The first symptom I noticed was paralysis, she couldn't move much besides her head, she was eating and drinking on the first day, but lost interest on the second day and died that night, it was very quick
If this is Marek's, and it sounds like some of the symptoms I endured, it sounds as if you may have a virulent strain your bird or birds have been exposed to. Were any of these birds vaccinated for this disease?

If this is Marek's, and it sounds like some of the symptoms I endured, it sounds as if you may have a virulent strain your bird or birds have been exposed to.  Were any of these birds vaccinated for this disease?

2 of my silkies came from a farm that did vaccinate for mareks and cocci, but the ones that died came from a feed store that had no idea if they were or not and dont keep very good records of which chicks came from where, so I'm guessing not. None of the other 6 pullets are showing symptoms, so fingers crossed they've been vaccinated

I would be glad it happened fast. I hate when I bring birds in to care for them and it's weeks and then they die. I think it's harder. I get more attached to them too. I hope it wasn't mareks

My rooster went fast. One day fine, the next day not moving, and gasping. I've never had that happen . I really do believe that it depends on which organ/nerve it hits first. Maybe the easier ones for the virus are the sciatica , eye, digestive system. But if it hits the nerves involved with breathing, they gasp, and I'll bet the spine plays a role in it as well. Like cancer, it starts in one area, then spreads to another . Maybe the speed of impending death is based on where it starts and how easy it is to reproduce.

My rooster went fast. One day fine, the next day not moving, and gasping. I've never had that happen . I really do believe that it depends on which organ/nerve it hits first. Maybe the easier ones for the virus are the sciatica , eye, digestive system. But if it hits the nerves involved with breathing, they gasp, and I'll bet the spine plays a role in it as well. Like cancer, it starts in one area, then spreads to another . Maybe the speed of impending death is based on where it starts and how easy it is to reproduce.

Yeah, my roo had tumors all through his heart and liver, it was pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom