Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Goldy, to start off, read Nambroth's big FAQ , the link is down in my signature.

If your flock had been vaccinated, I think that I would be looking for other possibilities. Not to say it's not Marek's, but seems like any info on Marek's is either "unlikely" highly unlikely, or "highly likely", there are no definite answers.

Goldy, to start off, read Nambroth's big FAQ , the link is down in my signature.

If your flock had been vaccinated, I think that I would be looking for other possibilities. Not to say it's not Marek's, but seems like any info on Marek's is either "unlikely" highly unlikely, or "highly likely", there are no definite answers.
Okay, thanks

I would always suggest Nambroth's Big Marek's FAQ because she has all the info there that we all have. But all in one nice convenient spot. The only thing more than the info there is when you get into lymphocytes and immune suppression, and what the virus does on a cellular level.

I hope your chickens do not have Marek's. It would be nice if they had something curable.

My limping pullet turned 6 months old and is still living in the house. She gets better, and then worse, and is now getting better again. I think she has something wrong with her like internal organ failure. She is passing undigested food, which is very concerning. I have been tubing her with water and ground up flock raiser to supplement what she eats. Since it has been two month, I doubt Marek's.

On another note, I now have a 13 week old pullet that is also limping on the right leg. She eats only at night and does not interact with the other pullets. Now she is living in the house too so I can monitor her leg and food intake. If one of these birds passes on I'll be sure to send it in for necropsy. So far they both seem to be in good spirits and are maintaining their weights.

How sad! I hope it's not Marek's. Did you try vitamins?

I'm having a sad day too. One of my 7 year old Polish - I just picked her up to hold her and noticed she has a cloudy eye.
hit.gif

OH, sad news!

I've tried vitamins, tube feeding, etc. Nothing seems to work. Now she is passing undigested food. I'm suspecting liver failure or something similar. I'll keep trying but I'm starting to lose hope.

Edited to add: I now suspect she has Colstridium perfringens. She has been treated for coccidia and worms with Wazine, and now she is getting tylan injections along with metronidazole for the Clostridium. Not sure if it will help but this is kind of her last resort. Poor girl has been sick for so long.

Last edited:
How sad! I hope it's not Marek's. Did you try vitamins?

I'm having a sad day too. One of my 7 year old Polish - I just picked her up to hold her and noticed she has a cloudy eye.
hit.gif
Oh Karen...how much heartache can a person take..?

Maybe..just maybe ..this is not related to your fears of Marek's...she may have a cataract....she has had a great and long life with you...I hope and pray that she will continue to live a healthy life in your safe and so very capable arms...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone's hens .

Seminolewind, don't forget that I have that black astrolorp with a grey eye. Her sibling had the same, I sent her in for that necropsy a couple of months ago and the vet said it wasn't mareks. So the suriving BA is doing fine - whatever is going on with her eye. She is lightweight, but her comb is pinking up a bit. I'll hope the same for your polish hen.

I started feeding tumeric. It seems a bit expensive online, but I found in Indian grocery stores you can get it for cheaper. Right now I'm finding it for $13 for a 3 lb bag. Only trouble is, it stains like the dickens. When I forget to wear gloves, my fingernails turn yellow and look disgusting. The flock doesn't seem to mind it - they will prefer the food that isn't dosed with the tumeric but will eat and finish up the tumeric food. I am experimenting with the amount and still researching to try to find more about what the critical point is (how much tumeric do you need to make a difference?)

OH, sad news!

I've tried vitamins, tube feeding, etc. Nothing seems to work. Now she is passing undigested food. I'm suspecting liver failure or something similar. I'll keep trying but I'm starting to lose hope.

Edited to add: I now suspect she has Colstridium perfringens. She has been treated for coccidia and worms with Wazine, and now she is getting tylan injections along with metronidazole for the Clostridium. Not sure if it will help but this is kind of her last resort. Poor girl has been sick for so long.

Good idea. Did you treat for coccidia already? I hope the antibiotics work, it would be great news.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom