Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Yes but the honey has to make contact with something of a higher ph like skin to start the reaction to release the Hydrogen Peroxide.
http://www.prlog.org/10227103-the-hydrogen-peroxide-producing-capacity-of-honey.html

Thank you it is a very interesting article! I learn something new every day.
But I have one reservation about the writer I don't know about the scientific objectivity of the publisher "Honeymark International" it seams that it is trying to sell me Manuka honey ...:)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that the little legbar hen ate the entire hardboiled egg, some feed, and drank a fair amount of the medicated water today, and even though the wind is up a bit and temp dropping, she was still warm and settled in the hay in the outdoor wire cage when I got home just a few minutes ago (phew). So she is on the upswing.....for now.....feel like I'm bouncing like a ping pong ball. She's worse, she's better, oh she's fine, oh no she's not, she's worse, she's.......

Just wanted to say that the little legbar hen ate the entire hardboiled egg, some feed, and drank a fair amount of the medicated water today, and even though the wind is up a bit and temp dropping, she was still warm and settled in the hay in the outdoor wire cage when I got home just a few minutes ago (phew). So she is on the upswing.....for now.....feel like I'm bouncing like a ping pong ball. She's worse, she's better, oh she's fine, oh no she's not, she's worse, she's.......

I have a little one too. She's looking good right now. I hope yours stays on the upswing.

I have a little one too. She's looking good right now. I hope yours stays on the upswing.

nah, its another day, so not so good. got some canned cat food into her, and all over me. You know how towards the end they will take a new food but not ever again? One day per food.....And today the other hens started chasing her when I put her on grass - their instinct to keep the sick ones away has kicked in.

Am resorting to forcing fluids - eyedropper by eyedropper. A slurry of cat food, electrolytes, the water with the sulfa in it, a little cooked egg yolk, a little yogurt. She is standing less and mostly on her hocks now. probably dehydrated and not taking in enough food. I'll give her some time but I don't think she will come back unless the sulfdimoxine kicks in.

Tomorrow I'm gone at work, and it is going to storm like crazy. I'll leave her inside the coop in the broody compartment. hate not being there to force fluids 8x a day. but she will either fight or not.

Seminole, hope your little one stays better and gets better.

Back
Top Bottom