Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Sorry to hear about Kettle's brother. Man, oh man, when it rains it pours, doesn't it ??? Perhaps he died of a broken heart ?!?!
th.gif

I can't seem to get my touchpad to right click in order to highlight part of you last post so I'll summarize what I wanted to highlight instead (old school style !!!)
**The part where you say that now that your pullets are older and vaccinated X2, that you're just going to have to play with them all day...***

I get people that ask me about this sort of 'bizarre' behavior they say I've developed over the years quite frequently...and my response to them is usually varied (depending
upon who's currently giving the critique of my behavior
smack.gif
...behavior, (like beauty), is in the mind of the operator, ...your parents only allowed you to have fish as a child, didn't they, ...you shouldn't criticize my actions (if that's what they're doing) these are highly trained NATO chickens, they attack on command, ...those aren't chickens, or my two
current favorites, ...those aren't chickens, or ...what chickens !!!...(this one works best on those people who you just want to get away from. They just walk away, shaking their heads in complete silence !!!)

-kim-

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Kettle's brother. Man, oh man, when it rains it pours, doesn't it ??? Perhaps he died of a broken heart ?!?!
th.gif

I can't seem to get my touchpad to right click in order to highlight part of you last post so I'll summarize what I wanted to highlight instead (old school style !!!)
**The part where you say that now that your pullets are older and vaccinated X2, that you're just going to have to play with them all day...***
Ironically Kettle spent so much time in the hospital ward that she no longer got along with her brother. She preferred to be with the younger pullets who were closer to her size. I think this is the end of it though. I only have 3 unvaccinated pullets left out of three different hatches (man, those are bad odds, aren't they?) All three are thriving AND laying eggs, so I feel fairly confident that they are going to survive. The youngest one had a cough for the longest time and I thought I'd have to cull her, but one day it went away and now she is a laying fool!

Also Ironic, my parents don't even like animals. They let me have pets growing up, probably just so I'd shut up and quit asking. My parents did do the back-yard-dog-breeding thing for a while. They always ended up with culls from other breeders that HATED kids and they would try to bite us. We never had chickens or any other kind of birds though. As soon as all us kids moved out of the house and the childhood dogs passed away, my folks vowed to not own pets anymore. They have a huge empty yard that no one uses.

Now, as an adult, I am doing everything that I was not allowed to do as a kid, which includes owning LOTS of animals.

Last edited:
It was a rough day being roosterless and not having my favorite pullet. I did nothing all morning and then HAD to take a nap. Must have been worn out from doing nothing. LOL When I awoke, the first my eggs had hatched. Welcome L19 - he's a carbon copy of the rooster when he first hatched. Now I remember why I have chicks - the make people happy!

L 19 on the right, and E24 on the left trying to photobomb

Call me crazy, but I'm putting some chicks under my broody hen.

I didn't want to do it, but there is always drama going on around here. I bought pheasant eggs for my broody to hatch so she could have some babies to raise. Due to one problem after another, only two if them hatched. Yesterday one of my older pullets got in the brooder with the the pheasants, pecked at the pheasants one time, and broke the baby's neck. Of course I was devastated, and didn't want the surviving baby to have to grow up alone. Yesterday I hatched some eggs in the incubator that came from my Marek's resistant hens that survived the winter. I vaccinated those chicks and put them under the broody. They have been moved to my horse trailer because it is clean and has never had any chicken dander in it. I realize my hen could be a carrier, but I got her when she was older and I'm optimistically hoping she is free of virus. She seems really happy to have normal chicks -- the pheasants didn't seem to be that satisfying to her. One more piece to my vaccine experiment.

I'll get some photos soon!

So question, for Cocci, do you recommend sulmet or corrid? One bird is acting slightly lethargic with foamy poop, and I want to nip it before it gets bad. Which one is overall best? I've used both before, and corrid seemed to take slightly longer, but that could just be me. Opinions?

So question, for Cocci, do you recommend sulmet or corrid? One bird is acting slightly lethargic with foamy poop, and I want to nip it before it gets bad. Which one is overall best? I've used both before, and corrid seemed to take slightly longer, but that could just be me. Opinions?
Did you use the severe out break amount? See picture for dose amounts:

-Kathy

I'll use the severe dosage this time around, tractor supply is caring it for once.
You can also do an oral drench.

One half teaspoon powder (270 mg amprolium) + 9 ml water. Mix well. Now you have 10 ml of Corid liquid with 270 mg amprolium, so each one ml has 27 mg amprolium. With me so far?

The dose is use is 20mg/kg, which is 0.34 ml per *pound* orally once. Give this in addition to the medicated water.

-Kathy

If you have one that weighs less than one pound let me know and I'll figure out an oral dose for you. Also... to get more of the medicated wataer in them, try making a mash with medicated water.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom